jmantas

Denon 4306

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Mario, I have a Denon 4306 and I use both serial and Ethernet. I'll be happy to beta test the plug-in. Can you add me to the list?

mcascio

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:37 am

The beta is open to the public. You just need to visit:
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... php?t=8296

Then download the file noted.

jmantas

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:42 am

got it. Thanks Mario.

stevew

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:23 pm

Rather than start a new thread, as I am using the 4306 via tcp/ip I'll post my feed back here:

A few "features" that need resolving before some serious testing can proceed:

1. Volumes are incremented in 0.5db increments this means the reported value goes in a {{mldevicemanager_zone_main_volume_004}} series like this: 30,305,31,315,32 etc causing sliders and variables to max at 100, and the db value {{mldevicemanager_zone_main_volume_db_004}} goes like this: -19,-195.-20,-205 etc causing the db value to max at 100. This is a real problem as sending a volume down while it is in the state 305,-195db will cause the volume to switch to 99.5,80db and deafen everyone or blow your speakers!

2. Channel volumes: An up down option is required e.g. MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|<<ID>>~ChannelVolume~<<Channel>>~UP

3. We could really do with new variables for the additional features added e.g Surround mode MLDeviceManager_SurroundMode_<<#>>

Full report and scenes to follow.

This really is a great plugin guys... keep up the great work. I'm sure I can drum up new customers on the back of this plugin. all smiles here tonight.

Steve.

stevew

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm

A bit of an update on the volume control issue 1) above:

The plugin appears to change volume in 1db steps, however any other control system including the standard Denon remote controls the system in 0.5db steps. If the initial value of the volume is on a 1db value then you will never see this issue unless you use the remote and it finishes on a 0.5db value then all hell brakes lose when you use the plugin.

Here is a prototype for my Denon 4306 control scene, still lots to do like maybe adding a 3rd panel at the top as I haven't finished adding all the options yet. I was also considering adding a MLServer variable for the 4306 ID that way I could share this scene with others and all they would need to do is set the Denon4306 variable to the device number in the MLDeviceManager plugin which controls the 4306, otherwise it is a case of editing every button? guidance please if you are interested? I also need to tidy up some of the images on the sound field...but time is limited at the moment.

So far I haven't come across any additional commands, but I would like the the following additional variables:
Surround mode MLDeviceManager_SurroundMode_<<#>>
Surround back mode MLDeviceManager_SurroundBackMode_<<#>>
CinemaEq MLDeviceManager_CinemaEq_<<#>>
Parameter mode MLDeviceManager_ParameterMode_<<#>>
Room Equaliser MLDeviceManager_RoomEq_<<#>>
Audio Delay MLDeviceManager_AudioDelay_<<#>>
Tuner Band MLDeviceManager_TunerBand_<<#>>
Tuner Preset MLDeviceManager_TunerPreset_<<#>>
TunerFrequency MLDeviceManager_TunerFrequency_<<#>>

It could be that I haven't set some of these variables yet, but if you try and fix the bulk of the above I will post my log file with all the errors, for example I am still getting a MVMAX error.

:D

Steve.

jmantas

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Nice going Steve... Some additional things I found or thougth of:

- I also get the MVMAX error... I do't know if this has been discussed before, but I am guessing that the value on the MVMAX is the Maximum volume levels that I had set for zones 1 and 2 (useful given the issues above...). When I send a volume command, the Denon echoes the command, but also sends the Maximum setting in the response.... The plugin doesnt seem to recognize that string and reports an error.... but it may be good to actually capture it in a variable insead of disregarding it. Something like ...._zone_xxxx_volume_max_ ...

Here is a sample of what I see in the log:

Sx:MV31
Rx IP:MV31
Rx IP:MVMAX 70
Invalid volume level received MVMAX 70

- The 4306 allows the input functions to be renamed... for instance, I have renamed the standard VDP input as "Media PC". May be nice to have the pluging to get those labels from the Denon on the initial connection....and then use those to populate variables such as _zone_xxx_inputsource_label_

Overall this is looking pretty good for the needs I have....

stevew

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:28 am

I have tried the latest 4306 driver but it isn't working at all. I have attached the log from the plugin. The plugin looks great...just doesn't work.
Attachments
DenonController_4.zip
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 249 times

stevew

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:33 am

I have reverted to the new 4806 driver, and nearly blew my speakers as it came on at 100db!!!!! Attached is the log from me trying to get the volume back down through the plugin and then ML and finally resorting to the remote.

For the time being I will revert to the previous version.
Attachments
DenonController_5.zip
(870 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:37 am

Me too. My wife was watching TV when I installed the new plugin (with condiderable difficulty, I might add). The main volume shot up to 100 on startup and wouldn't respond appropriately. My wife is VERY unhappy. She expects the system to work flawlessly first time, every time.

In any event, the plug-in is still flakey with regard to volume. dB fractions are now possible, but not in the appropriate 0.5 dB steps. The control shots to 100/ +18dB and stays there. I need to use the manual knob on the denon to turn it down.

The TM commands still cause errors. The variables do seem to populate on startup and with "syncronize". The MVMax error seems to be fixed, but no variable is generated. The command page does not update the correct channel volumes. I can use the tuner on zone 2 with zone 1 being on another input.

You guys are making great progress with this, but the volume thing needs immediate attention. My WAF is droping fast..

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:12 pm

Wife still pissed.

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 am

wife still pissed

mcascio

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:02 am

Programmer still working on. :)

srgny
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks, Mario
I'll tell the little woman.

mcascio

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Try out the latest versions. I don't think we've fixed the volume on startup but have fixed others.

Perhaps there's confusion of what the MVMAX does and how it is reported to us. Perhaps someone can send some commands using TCP/IP and let us see your logs as well as communicate to us how it's reacting.

stevew

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:50 pm

mcascio wrote:Try out the latest versions. I don't think we've fixed the volume on startup but have fixed others.

Perhaps there's confusion of what the MVMAX does and how it is reported to us. Perhaps someone can send some commands using TCP/IP and let us see your logs as well as communicate to us how it's reacting.
Hi Mario/Jeremy,

We are getting closer :D as the 4306 plugin now works for me. However this volume problem is killing me and my speakers :(

I have attached the latest log file.

My understanding is that MVMAX is a setting that you can set to limit the maximum volume that is outputted to the speakers. In my case MVMAX86. I think all you need to do with it is store the value and take the MIN of any MV command and the MVMAX value. Currently it is behaving very strangely, shortly after startup it sends a MV98 command (deafening!) if you then send a ZoneVolume~1~DOWN command it lowers the volume till it reaches the MVMAX86 level and sends a MV98 again.

Another thing is that since the trailing 0 has been added to the commands e.g 98 now = 980 and 98.5 now = 985 etc.. the {{mldevicemanager_zone_main_volume_004}} variable is permanently stuck at 100 as it is taking the MAX(100,Volume) which given the values are always > 100 (e.g. 980 or 985 will be 100)!

So to try and make it clearer:
where,
Sx = Send
Rx IP = Receive

sx: MV?
Rx IP: MV60 MVMAX 86

All you need to do here is record the values of MV and of MVMAX

MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneVolume~1~DOWN

Sx: MV59
Rx IP: MV59 MVMAX 86

MLServeCmd.MLDeviceManager|4~ZoneVolume~1~90

Sx: MV86 (note this is the MIN(90,86))
Rx IP: MV86 MVMAX 86

At least if we could get to this point... we could do some real testing.

Keep up the good work guys, and to anyone else testing remember this is beta software! (although having to turn system on for my fiance everytime she wants to watch tv is becoming a pain!)

Steve.
Attachments
DenonController_6.zip
(633 Bytes) Downloaded 217 times

Return to “Denon”