jcase

Play password depending on movie rating?

Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:40 pm

Would it be possible to have a password entry screen popup depending upon the movie rating?

The way I see it when you press the movie graphic to play, the logic behind it would be to check to see what movie rating you've selected to protect, then either play the movie if it is within the rating you are allowing to play, if not then present a dialog to enter the password.

Now the fun begins :lol: since we don't have an onscreen keyboard, just allow the password to be a certain sequence of onscreen buttons that would unlock it. For instance you could press:
thumb, thumb, overview (configurable via an ini file)

What do you think? I have some R rated movies that I not necressarily want my son to be watching.
John

midi-guy

Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:54 pm

I second this request. :D

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:16 am

thinking aloud, but couldn't you put an overide command on those protected movies that would play marios log in screen? Haven't thought this one thru, so go easy...

midi-guy

Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:19 pm

smoothtlk,
Can you expand on how one would go about doing this?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:26 pm

Ok, it's cobby, but it "works".

On MLServer DVDLobby plugin settings page, find a restricted movie and go to edit mode.

Add this line to the Overide MLCmd line: "MLServeCmd.MLCmd|ChangeScene~client1~Login1.mls"

When run, this will change the scene to the login page (which has the userloginprompt.swf background). The userloginprompt.ini file has this:"user=parentlogin&pass=parentpass&mls=PlayMovie.mls&"

The "PlayMovie.mls" screen has a button named "Saving Private Ryan" with MLcommand: "MLServeCmd.Macro|MLFileOpen|subst~Z: /D~0!MLFileOpen|subst~Z: "N:\Video\Saving Private Ryan\Video_TS"~0!MLPause|.5!MLFileOpen|C:\Program Files\Zoom Player\zplayer.exe~/DVD /PLAY"

Of course, Dan could do a much cleaner job of this. The problem with this approach is you have to create a proprietary button for each restricted movie on the PlayMovie.mls screen. I think if Dan exposed "Rating" as a DVDPlugin parameter, and added a MLSConditional command that could use the Rating as an If "Restricted" then "Go to Login screen" statement, it would make it cleaner as it could all be done on the default MLCmd line in the DVDLobby plugin.

Of course, this is the setup that runs on my setup (Zoom, HardDrive movie, DVDLobby plugin, etc.).

thinking about this a little more, it might make sense to restrict even viewing the covers for certain movies...

gbdesai

Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:55 pm

That's exactly why a couple of weeks ago I was asking for a selective "filter" that would only show movies of a certain rating.

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:56 pm

dreicher wrote:Guys,

I'm making a note of this to include in DVDL3. It should be pretty simple to pop-up a 10-key to enter an override password before playing the movie once we move to client/server. Do you want to be able to set individual movies or just ratings-based...thinking out loud here but a lot of TV stuff and/or kids movies are NR, and so are a lot of ...

I think it would probably be better to just prompt the 10-key (if defined) when you initially load DVDLobby that only shows the "extra" movies if a user enters the right sequence. I guess the thinking there goes, I don't mind so much if the babysitter wants to watch my Debbie Does Detroit DVD - I would just rather her not know that I bought it. Does that make more sense?

Dan
I love the idea of the movies not even showing up enless you are in as a "superadmin" i.e. the password option.... Much better than having by rating alone, as I burn a large number of dvd's from my tivo and most do not have ratings, and it's to much a pain to enter the ratings in manually for all the dvd's....

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:26 am

I use Custom5 field in the DVDLobby database to store the location of my movies. Using Custom1-5 to designate the status would allow you to use a conditional to determine if that movie should go to the password or not.

Lest it seems a daunting thing to do, it took just a couple of minutes to populate the field in hundreds of movies using Access.

This is not as clean as a DVDL3 solution, of course... but it gets you there now.

:)

jglitch

Thu May 27, 2004 2:38 am

Couldnt you just "SORT" on a genre that isnt visible on the menu .. maybe thru a hotkey/mouse button .. with a password screen ... and then you could still "BROWSE" the cover art for all the locations in Dallas or wherever? But then I dont know squat about any of this scripting or programming ... to me it's writing a letter and/or browsing my cable box tv listings

chuckh

parental control

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:52 pm

Guys,

I'm making a note of this to include in DVDL3. It should be pretty simple to pop-up a 10-key to enter an override password before playing the movie once we move to client/server. Do you want to be able to set individual movies or just ratings-based...thinking out loud here but a lot of TV stuff and/or kids movies are NR, and so are a lot of ...

I think it would probably be better to just prompt the 10-key (if defined) when you initially load DVDLobby that only shows the "extra" movies if a user enters the right sequence. I guess the thinking there goes, I don't mind so much if the babysitter wants to watch my Debbie Does Detroit DVD - I would just rather her not know that I bought it. Does that make more sense?
Did this ever “officially” make it as a feature in dvdl3? Are there any plans to work it in? Thanks.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:40 am

Not yet.

xtacbyme

over a year later..

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:26 am

is this possible yet?

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Tue May 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Bump.

I came home today and saw my 4 year-old watching south park the movie. I won't elaborate the scene that was playing (M'kay) but it made it quite clear I need a solution - lest I start removing DVD's from my library... I really want to keep Boogie Nights & Pulp Fiction in my collection. As was mentioned before, I would REALLY like the ability to suppress the poster unless you are an authorized user...

It is complement to have software easy enough a 4 year-old can use - but now I need something to prevent my 4 year-old from using...

Anything to address this??? Now or in the near future???

Thanks!

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 pm

DVDLobby has password protection that can be turned on per movie database. It has been in there quite a while. It is not on a per movie basis, but per movie database. Each database has to be within a seperate DVDLobby Plugin, running on a seperate MLServer instance.

I suspect there are means to lock an individual movie from launching, but not from the poster from showing. You could use a generic poster for objectionable movies.

mcascio

Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 am

Actually, if the movie is locked, the MOVIE POSTER shouldn't show up in DVDLobby. On startup of DVDLobby, the user has an option to enter a Password. If they press SKIP, the movies that are locked will not show up in the thumbnail view. If they enter the UNLOCK code, the movies will show up in thumbnails.

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”