pkoslow

Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:24 pm

Murray & Mario,

Thanks for the kind feedback... attached the zipped .mls files & jpeg images to the original post.

Paul

jfaith

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:40 pm

John,

Great job! Everything looks easy to use.
Can you tell us more about your door automation? (tech, devices, etc.)

Jeff

pkoslow

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:12 pm

Jeff... you addressed to John, but I think this was directed towards me?

Door Automation...

I'm in California living in a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired home which has no less than 14 exterior doors (all rooms have at least one), plus a number of gates in and out of courtyards, etc. Only around 2000sq ft the house is not at all large, but checking and locking the doors when leaving or going to bed was a significant task, especially after being spoiled by lighting automation that allowed me to turn all the lights off with a single button press or voice command!

I decided to focus on the doors that were commonly used to get started. With so many doors, this doesn't give me complete control, but does fill 90% of my needs. I figure that motion sensors will take care of security should one of the less used doors be left open/unlocked.

Onto your question... HomeSeer, Ocelot, Schlage electrified locks, electronic door strikes, electronic dead bolts.

The open closed status is monitored by simple magnetic contacts in each door connected back to an ADI SECU16 (Ocelot I/0 module). This updates Homeseer device variables that are then displayed in MainLobby using the MLHSPlugin.

The locking mechanisms are also controlled by ADI SECU16's which provide relay control connected to Altronix power supply and power distribution panels that provide the proper AC or DC voltage for the locking device.

Installing the door locking hardware can be quite cumbersome... for the Schalge electified locks which are used in most of the doors, you need to get power thru the door which can be done with "electric hinges", or in my case, with contacts in the door jamb that pass power when the door is closed. The gates are steel and house regular keyed schlage locksets. I use electric door strikes for these. The front door is ornate with an expensive knob & lockset, so here I chose to use a electric deadbolt.

In all cases except for the front door with the deadbolt, the doors can still be unlocked with a key regardless of the automation system. This gives me some piece of mind if the PC stuff acts up. We seldom use the front door except to greet guests, so the deadbolt works okay here.

I eventually plan to install magnetic switches in all the remaining doors, so I can at least know if they are open/closed. Right now HS locks the doors that are connected and announces any doors that are open when leaving or going to bed (locking the garage door doesn't do any good if it's open!).

Sorry if this isn't clear... I intended a short an precise answer, but look what happened. The electric door strikes & deadbolts are fairly common things. Here is a link at Smarthome with some examples:
http://www.smarthome.com/doorstrike.html

The electrified Schlage locks are unusual for residential applications. They are used mostly in business where security and access control are important and priced accordingly... I'm using the 7200 series:
http://www.sdcsecurity.com/newsite/html ... ricls.html

Altronix power supplies:
http://www.altronix.com/

I don't' think I have any photos of this stuff installed, but may take some in the future to post on the HS message board as there have been some inquiries there as well.

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited by pkoslow on Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:35 pm

Although I did not request this information, I would like to thank you for your very comprehensive description of your setup.

moviewavs.com

I've been working on it for a while and still working

Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:42 am

I've been working on it for a while and still working on it.
Last edited by moviewavs.com on Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

jfaith

Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:29 pm

Paul,

Yes, sorry my mistake with the name. :)
Thanks for your helpful post. I was curious after seeing your posts and it is hard to get started sometimes with just blind web searches. Always good to get the perspective of someone who is using the system right now.

Jeff

JohnWPB

pkoslow, Looking good!

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:38 pm

pkoslow, I LOVE the clean layout of your screens. I was supprised to see my weather page in use :) I like the way you incorporated it into your setup.

I modified my original posting to use a local java script to display the phase of the moon. When I wrote that page I used a bit of "plugin code" to display it from another site on the net.

You can see the modified version on my system, as well as all the other pages at the link in my signature.

Happy Hollidays!
My HomeSeer Web Interface
http://www.johnwpb.com

pkoslow

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:12 pm

John,

Thanks for the compliment on my screens. Everyone that visits is now very impressed with the HA system! Before MainLobby, it was very difficult for people to understand everything that my HomeSeer based system did. Now with the graphic interface (ML on 10" Airpanels), people take to it immediately and have no problem navigating the system.

Many here have posted some phenomenal screens, but I've tried to keep mine dumbed down with the same look and feel throughout. I've been slowly working on a HS demo script that uses TTS to speak and demonstrate the system while the ML scenes are changed accordingly and manipulating lights, fans, curtains, door locks, music, etc. What I have so far is extremely impressive, but with all the features it's already >7mins long. Trying to find some time to get back and complete it... should be cool when it's all done!

Thanks for the updates to the weather ASP... I'll check out your site and give it a look.

Cheers,
Paul

DVDaddict

MovieWav ... is that a Mitsubishi TV is see ??

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:38 am

Love all your screenshots people. I'm considering the ML suite to create an HTPC environment. So far spent about 100+ hours reading posts ... slowly going blind. GReat work all.

I believe i saw a Mits in your post MOvieWav .... do you havea file for this as i plan on controlling my WS65613 with ML .... wouldnt happen to be a Plug in perchance ?

Thanks
What doesn't kill us, run like hell

W4ZOO
Intermediate
Intermediate

Deleted

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:18 pm

Last edited by W4ZOO on Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

W4ZOO
Intermediate
Intermediate

Deleted

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:30 pm

Last edited by W4ZOO on Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

W4ZOO
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:36 pm

Bago wrote:Thanks Ken - that mean alot coming from a expert like you!

The overlays are the buttons in the middle. Here is the base scene wich I am placing the overlays onto:

Each light is trigered by a variable. I am using lots of control variables. Each button sets lots of variables to "off" and one to "on".
Here is one of my button commands:

MLServeCmd.Macro.MLSlinke|TV:power_on!MLSlinke|TV:input1!MLSlinke|Amp:htpc!SetVariable|device1~off!
SetVariable|device2~off!SetVariable|device3~off!SetVariable|device4~off!SetVariable|device5~on!
SetVariable|device6~off!SetVariable|device7~off

As for my equipment my amp is a Sony, so I am using an slink port for that was well as to my TV. I do not have a theater yet.
For VCR and DSS I am using IR. For some reasion slink wont work on my sony DSS box.

I have no rs232 equipment yet, but I will be ready for it.

My biggest problem with these overlays is that I would like to be able to switch to the DVDLobby scene then go back to my Master
Control scene and have the last chosen overlay automaticly load. This can not be done at this time - I am hoping that version 3 will give me that feature.
Bago,

Nice setup! I’m using it for my start. Good wow factor.

I’m having a problem after I finish editing my Overlay for the Radio page. I test it in edit but after saving it and backing out to the Start screen. I select radio and the overlay pops up and I see all my changes but the commands to girder won’t work? Worked when I tested them in the wile I was editing the overlay.

What’s different.

I’m sending them through Girder to my receiver (RX-Z9 via an RS232).

Must be something stupid I’m doing or not doing.

DC is my old haunt grew up in Bethesda and moved to Annapolis. For the last 25 years…

WPGC was a top ten then. Guess I’m dating myself…

Thanks
Ken

KW1816

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:12 pm

Here's my latest screen for TV channels in th UK. TV Source is a SKY digital satellite box which is controlled through Homeseer driving a USBuirt.

The screens are designed for a 800 X 600 touchscreen.

MrOcelot

My MainLobby interface

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:54 pm

This work was inspired by one of the forum members who posted some screen shots of his security panel. It was so photorealistic! I decided to learn how to create basic interface shapes in Photoshop and found a great source of tutorials at http://www.absolutecross.com. This screen uses concepts explained in the advanced user interface tutorial.

I designed a main panel and an extension.
The original thought was to develop a Flash object where the extension would slide in and out when a button was pressed. The Calls button ties into my NetCallerID box. I designed the extension to be reusable for each room. The strings for the scenes are stored as MLServer variables, so that when I am in the Nursery, the scenes are appropriate for taking care of my son, and when I am in the Media room, the scenes are appropriate for watching TV, reading a book or listening to music.

Code: Select all

MLServeCMD.Macro|MLHSPlugin|HS_ExecX10:{{remote_code}}~DDIM~40 !SetVariable|remote_lcd_text1~SCENE !SetVariable|remote_lcd_text2~{{item2}}
{{remote_code}} contains the X10 devices I want to manipulate, and these are set when the user clicks on each room. At this time the 4 scene button strings {{item1}} thru {{item4}} are populated as MLServer variables, and thus show up on the extension switch. The slider uses {{remote_code}} as well, so does the ON and OFF button. This way, for example if my Computer Room uses device B4, and I want the following scenes on B4: BRITE, WORK, RELAX, NITE, I set the item variables to these strings and the remote_code to B4. Now, the switch panel works on B4. I tried using it with combos such as A6plusA5plusD3 or A6+A5+B4 but it did not work. Maybe my syntax is wrong.

There is still a lot of work to be done. I want to put some status strings on the "LCD" panel that show which room is selected, the status of devices etc, and some navigation buttons.

I chose to populate the button strings in MainLobby so that if I wanted to change a room later I did not have to redo the Photoshop work. I used ImageReady to create SWFs for the individual GUI pieces, so that I can create multiple screens with the same look and feel. I want to transfer my Weather Report screen to this GUI and also want to purchase XMLobby at some point in time and integrate it here.

MainLobby 2.80 now provides additional support for overlays so I can use the blank spaces to develop menus etc.

If anyone is interested in the piece part SWFs or the Photoshop files themselves let me know and I will post them. Thanks to all of you for providing such great examples, as well as scripts and techniques for free. This is my way of giving back to the community. Now, if only fungun will write a tutorial on how to create those dials in Photoshop :)

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Mr Ocelot,
Great Job!!!
Please post your files. They are great!

Return to “MLS files/Buttons/Icons/Backgrounds/SWF/3rd Party Apps/Device Files”