sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond myServer?

WIFI For Guests

Sat May 12, 2018 7:58 am

I am wondering how others are dealing with guests who want wifi access. I don't really like giving out my password, but I don't want to be rude and not allow them access. I have the Comcast wifi router, but I don't really want to turn on their guest access because I am not sure how secure that is to keep things separate.

Thank you for any and all help with this.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: WIFI For Guests

Sat May 12, 2018 8:15 am

Many routers have a separate Guest WiFi specifically for this purpose. When properly setup, they will have Internet access and not Intranet access.
Does your router have this option? If not, get a new router. They are cheap enough. We use OpenMesh access points. And the myFirewall2 for most jobs.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Sat May 12, 2018 10:40 am

Very easy. With my firewall I can create various custom solutions for this sort of a thing. In my house I have.a separate network segment along with a captive portal which has user account/passwords defined for my sons friends. I can then manage connectivity how ever needed.

What is your goal? I am sure that it can be done.

Keep in mind that many router solutions allow you to have a guest network. What they do not allow you to do is manage what connectivity that guest network has access to. They usually also do not allow you to have access to the internal network, nor allow you to assign multiple user accounts.

sonypoolplr

Sat May 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you both. I have the xfinity router currently because I have their tv/phone/internet. The router does have what xfinity calls their "Public hotspot". If I enable this will this allow guests to get on the internet but I won't have to worry about them accessing anything on my home network? That is what comcast says, but I would rather get someone's opinion that doesn't work for comcast.

If there are other, and possibly better, options then I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sat May 12, 2018 10:13 pm

I suspect what they say is what it does. It's a very common capability and need.
If you really don't trust ComCast router, then you likely can "Bridge Mode" it and put a "myFirewall2" or such as the real firewall that you control.
So, Comcast cable <> Comcast router in bridge mode <> myFirewall2 <> your Intranet <> OpenMesh AP with Guest mode turned on

You can certainly test the comcast guest mode to see if you can see your Intranet PCs etc.

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”