philnye

Current Video/Graphics Card Recommendation for myServer & Client

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 am

Hello everyone,

I searched the forum a bit and only found hits from some pretty old threads on the Cinemar side and just a couple fairly old (2013-2016) hits on hardware discussions in general.

I'm looking to gather current thoughts and recommendations from anyone on minimum graphics hardware for running a combined myServer and Client to display ripped blu-ray and DVDs as well as Amazon Video. I just re-purposed a non-integrated graphics motherboard running an AMD FX4 quad core processor and 8Gb of RAM as my new myServer to replace a very old AMD Core2 Duo Win7 setup. The speed increase in my client touchscreens is huge and I'm finally embracing Windows 10 across all my hardware including myServer! However, in order to feed my theater client which runs on the same box as myServer I am now using an old Nvidia GTX 550 I had laying around which I'm sure is wasting a ton of power and also has a fan noise that could wake the dead. Does anyone have a recommendation for minimum graphics hardware and ideally low power hardware to display HD video streams for a dedicated client? My updated myServer is a 3U rackmount setup so full height cards are fine but I would prefer short depth.

Thanks for any feedback,
Phil Kosarek
philnye

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Current Video/Graphics Card Recommendation for myServer & Client

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm using a EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 card in my PC. It's driving a 4K monitor and I'm very happy with the results.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

yah probably know this...but you should be running myServer on a dedicated PC. Doesn't need to be super quick, just a fast SSD Raid1 SATA connection. Intel i5 is fine.

And with that then, the graphics card can be low end.

You can use a NVidia Shield as the client display device running Kodi. Very low power. You'll probably pay for it with the energy savings in a couple of months ;)

philnye

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 pm

AllonisDave wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:36 pm
I'm using a EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 card in my PC. It's driving a 4K monitor and I'm very happy with the results.
Nice Dave, that's what I run on my main office PC which is driving 2 1080p monitors for my day to day and as an Allonis client!

Thanks,
Phil

philnye

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 pm

DavidL wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm
yah probably know this...but you should be running myServer on a dedicated PC. Doesn't need to be super quick, just a fast SSD Raid1 SATA connection. Intel i5 is fine.

And with that then, the graphics card can be low end.

You can use a NVidia Shield as the client display device running Kodi. Very low power. You'll probably pay for it with the energy savings in a couple of months ;)

Thanks Dave,

That is definitely ideal. I'm re-purposing hardware to keep costs minimum after upgrading my main office PC but I had thought of running myServer on a simple Atom setup since I've literally had one sitting in a box for around 3-5 years that I haven't used for anything. Then I would definitely need to run a separate dedicated client for my theater but for now I'm seeing how this goes. Besides I have matching rack mount cases for my new myServer/Client PC and my existing unRaid server which will look killer in my double equipment rack!

I will definitely say just with my current myServer upgrade going from a Core2 Duo 4Gb RAM to an AMD FX4 Quad Core 8Gb RAM and my SATA2 1Tb to SATA3 256Gb SSD + 1Tb HD that my screen load times and image reload/refresh has gone from is anything happening to holy cow that is fast!

Thanks!
Phil

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”