fahrer

Smart Mirror

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 am

I thought I'd share a project I finished up recently to create a "Smart Mirror" by my front door. The project primarily uses open source software called "MagicMirror"https://magicmirror.builders/ but I'm also incorporating a display from myServer to show a dynamic floor plan.
1513602993256-img_20171216_172215.png
1513602993256-img_20171216_172215.png (680.06 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Link to Magic Mirror forum post: https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topi ... way-mirror

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: Smart Mirror

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:40 am

Nice! Can you bring us all up to speed on the SmartMirror2 software? Why is it necessary when you have myServer? I see from their site that they support facial recognition...have you implemented that? How and how well does it work for you if so?

fahrer

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Everything shown on the smart mirror in the picture could be accomplished with myServer alone rather than the hybrid approach I have now. I actually thought of going that route but I would have needed to buy licenses for the calendar and RSS functionality while the MagicMirror2 software is free.

The facial recognition looks like it could be a good feature but I haven't tried it yet. I'll need to either go that route or wire up a simple PIR sensor so I can have the screen turn on/off automatically.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

My wife will hate you for posting this as I have just created another "project". I really like what you did and would appreciate any knowledge items you can share other than what is already posted. It's been a few weeks and wondering how well your project is working. I like MM but will more than likely use Allonis technologies to drive the information.

So, is it really as simple as creating a "box", cutting some glass, placing a reflective film, adding a monitor, etc? Did you end up with bubbles after adding the reflective film? Do you have product part numbers of the items you used?

I wonder if one could use a PI and use "chromium" to drive a Allonis web client? Have not tried it, but I have the flexibility on the client side. Yeah, I suppose one could use a cheap android device as well. One might even get more control that way.

Thanks!!

fahrer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 am

@Krumpy, sorry I hadn't checked back here for a little while (always off to the next project). I'm glad you like the project! With the delay I wonder if you already started one of your own.

It really is as simple as throwing a monitor behind a piece of one-way glass. I used a piece of replacement window glass from Lowes and some one-way reflective film from amazon. If you're willing to spend a bit more, glass with a factory-applied coating looks way better. Here's a parts list:
I don't see any reason you couldn't just configure chromium to load full screen on bootup and point it at your Allonis server, should work fine!

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 am

A Pi works great to render a myServer HTML control screen to an attached HDMI monitor / touchscreen.

There are settings to autolaunch the browser on Pi boot to the URL you provide.

Not seeing the need for "Magic Mirror" software when you have a much more powerful platform within myServer.
I am sure there are bits and pieces that exist for Magic Mirror that today aren't in myServer.
Let us know what they are and if they are a "miss" within myServer, we will put them on the To Do list.

fahrer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm

I wish I could use Allonis more but the only reason I don't is because of the licensing model. It's frustrating that every tiny feature that I want to use is another license that I have to buy, which has forced me to start thinking of alternative ways to fill that functionality. In this case, my use of both magic mirror software and Allonis is due to the need to purchase relatively simple features like RSS and a calendar after shelling out about $800 for cinemar and now Allonis. That's in addition to yearly subscription fees now.

Magic mirror also has some modules to use motion detectors, range sensors, temperature sensors and cameras attached to the raspberry Pi in order to turn on/off the mirror, swap out content and interact with it. Some of that could be done with Allonis but that's another family, some of it would require custom scripting on the Pi side, maybe some server scripting. The Allonis server scripting requiring vbScript is a downside.

I don't mean to gripe and I wouldn't have brought it up but you mentioned you weren't seeing the need.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm

At CES, a common recommendation to us was to significantly increase the price due to the level of polish and function. Not once were we recommended to lower the price....

We don't anticipate making any significant pricing model changes however. Let's see how long Magic Mirror is around ;) We have seen TONS give it up.

One of our incites at CES was to "yell" "hey, if you weren't around 15 years ago, turn your booth lights off"...we expected the place to go dark ;)

We love the Pi too.

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”