DevenLF

ZWave Dimmers

Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 pm

I've about reached my boiling point when it comes to some Insteon (Smarthome) products. I have over 16 of the Keypadlinc8's in my house, and while they always WORK great, they break easy, and if I lose power, I have to somehow 'reset' some of them to get them to come back on, I have to cut power to some of them to get them back on, they are programmed differently from the factory, they are $80/each, and SmartLabs support gets a negative 5 stars, always. HORRIBLE service. HORRIBLE.

I have to buy new replacements about twice a year. (thank goodness for my ISY that reprograms the new ones almost instantly for me)

The only reason I haven't done something else is because I can't find any other switches/dimmers that have the multiple buttons. I use all 8 buttons on most of my keypads DAILY, and I can't imaging having only local load control again. I mean, I'd have to walk across the room again! (lol).

Are there any ZWave devices that have at least 4 buttons on them, something at least similar to what the keypadlincs can do? I'd gladly start replacing my keypadlincs with zwave devices if I could find something at all similar. I'd just replace them as the keypadlincs "die" (and believe me, it won't be long!)

Any input or links to similar devices would be much appreciated!

Deven

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: ZWave Dimmers

Thu May 20, 2021 1:04 pm

RadioRa2. Once and done.
You will find same life out of most Z-Wave devices.
Cheap but less reliable than Ra2.

DevenLF

Thu May 20, 2021 1:17 pm

Dave, those look PERFECT. They are ZWave, right? It doesn't say ZWave anywhere that I can see.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Thu May 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Lutron RadioRa2 has a patented radio communications. They are NOT Z-Wave. I think Lutron calls it "ClearConnect" or something like that.
With myServer you can run all of the technologies at once with the appropriate hub and software drivers.

You will need a dealer (us) to program a RadioRa2 system if you haven't gone through their free online training.

If you provide us a spreadsheet with the lighting loads you are trying to control (LED / incandescent etc) and Watts / Amps, and the switch style (number of buttons) then we can provide you a quote to provide the lights and program them.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thu May 20, 2021 1:45 pm

I second Lutron. I started with Insteon, then went Z-wave which worked great, but went to Lutron to have more options and it just works. I still run a few Z-wave with the Lutron. myServer makes seamless.

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”