DavidL
Founder
Founder

Water Softener Automation

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Most folks don't understand what "Home Automation" is compared to the more common "Remote Control". Apps like Alexa, Google Voice, Siri, and many others are really "Remote Control".

Here's an easy project that suggests what "Automation" is.

My house is heated and cooled via Geothermal. It uses my well pump to bring water to the heating system where BTUs are extracted (in the winter) and transferred to the forced air system.

The Water Softener is scheduled to flush and cleanse it's resin once a day. It uses the same well water.

The problem is the Geothermal consumes lots of water, reducing the water pressure for the softener. So, the solution is to shut off the HVAC system a few minutes before the softener is schedule to rinse. This gives the well pump enough time to get to full pressure to properly clean the resin. I then turn the HVAC system back on (under thermostat control) post when the softener's rinse cycle should be complete.

I am currently using an EcoBee thermostat with myServer driver. I simply shut the system off via an Ecobee command in synch with the softener's needs within myServer's Scheduled Tasks in the middle of the night in the summer where HVAC cooling isn't as needed.

That wouldn't be eloquently done with Alexa :)

chrisan

Re: Water Softener Automation

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:17 pm

That's a cool project. I have magnetic contacts on my garage door to tell when it's open or closed for garage door control. But there's other cool stuff you can do with it. When the contacts break (garage door opening) and it's after nightfall I trigger an event to activate the lights outside my garage to fade up to on. Nice effect pulling up the driveway.

Take that Alexa !

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Nice project!

Let's hear more!

chrisan

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 pm

OK - I have a moon phase scene on my iPhone app. There are like 5 different backgrounds that can be displayed based on tonight's expected cloud cover. Tonight in my area here in Michigan the forecast is 33% cloud cover. So you get the image attached. The cloud cover doesn't show up great in the picture. But on my iPhone it looks like about 33%. The background is a Hubble deep field. It's all I could find that seemed to look good.

Goes to show a guy with a little creativity can do wonderful things with the MyDesigner software. I'd eventually like to do an entire thread documenting my app here. I think it's pretty awesome. But still have a couple challenges to overcome. In particular my irrigation app. Please see my other post on this forum.

Thanks, Chris
Attachments
Moon.jpg
Moon.jpg (323.7 KiB) Viewed 41 times

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”