Teddyboy16

Interested in the trial but I have questions

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi,
I’m interested in downloading the myserver and a couple of apps for the trial period to see if it’s going to meet my requirements. I currently run windows server essentials 2016 server on a four core Xeon cpu w/16 gigs of ram with all my PCs joined to the domain. I plan on adding another htpc to the domain for my bedroom.

I’m a former Windows Media Center/MyMovies user. I’ve been using the software for years but with EOL for Windows7 coming very soon, I’ve been looking for alternatives. All my movies are ripped as full folder structures from the disc. My music is ripped as MP3s. All the shares are fully accessible with the other computers joined to the domain.

I currently use my living room htpc for music and movies with tv, Netflix/Amazon/Pandora streaming dedicated to my Tivo Romeo. I certainly don’t mind doubling up on apps on my htpc for for those streaming services because if I’m already watching a movie or listening to music I can simply switch over to that app with out having to switch inputs and remotes.

The MYMovies app is set up by default to play ripped media from a hard drive are there any restriction on the software player? I currently use powerdvd 17. Are there any issues with external players not wanting to relinquish focus when I want to switch back to pick another movie? Is there a particular preference for a external player that works best? What is the mechanism if any to import MyMovies database into MyMovies app? I have a combination of movies and tv series so it’s pretty easy for me to just pick a episode to watch and it jumps right to it.

Am I able to buy/rent movies directly from the amazon app or do I have to use my iPad/safari to choose the movie I want to purchase.

I don’t mind spending the money if everything works reliably and I have access to adequate support. Initially I’d start the trial with myserver, MyMovies and mymusic. Sorry for the long post! :D

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: Interested in the trial but I have questions

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 pm

"I currently run windows server essentials 2016 server on a four core Xeon cpu w/16 gigs of ram with all my PCs joined to the domain. I plan on adding another htpc to the domain for my bedroom."

That's enough power to run a small country. No prob with myServer.

"I’m a former Windows Media Center/MyMovies user. I’ve been using the software for years but with EOL for Windows7 coming very soon, I’ve been looking for alternatives. All my movies are ripped as full folder structures from the disc. My music is ripped as MP3s. All the shares are fully accessible with the other computers joined to the domain. "

Should be fine.

"I currently use my living room htpc for music and movies with tv, Netflix/Amazon/Pandora streaming dedicated to my Tivo Romeo. I certainly don’t mind doubling up on apps on my htpc for for those streaming services because if I’m already watching a movie or listening to music I can simply switch over to that app with out having to switch inputs and remotes. "

myServer has apps for Netflix / Amazon and Pandora.

The MYMovies app is set up by default to play ripped "media from a hard drive are there any restriction on the software player? I currently use powerdvd 17. Are there any issues with external players not wanting to relinquish focus when I want to switch back to pick another movie? Is there a particular preference for a external player that works best? What is the mechanism if any to import MyMovies database into MyMovies app? I have a combination of movies and tv series so it’s pretty easy for me to just pick a episode to watch and it jumps right to it. "

There is a driver for PowerDVD. That will allow for transport controls to be used via a myServer user interface. Not sure if v17 works but it should if PowerDVD didn't change their syntax.

"Am I able to buy/rent movies directly from the amazon app or do I have to use my iPad/safari to choose the movie I want to purchase. "
You log in with your amazon account info and can navigate your Netflix library and launch a movie.

"I don’t mind spending the money if everything works reliably and I have access to adequate support. Initially I’d start the trial with myserver, MyMovies and mymusic. "

Sounds like a great way to start! Let us know how it works for you and any questions along the way!

Teddyboy16

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for answering my questions. I'll probably begin the trial today, but I have a few more questions. As I stated in my previous post I have powerdvd 17 running on my HTPC. I also have PowerDVD 18 as well that is not installed. You stated that PowerDVD 17 should work with the driver you have, but weren't sure. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

I currently have Mymovies server runing on my essentials 2016 server. I did read that there is a process to bring over MyMovies sql database to yours. Is there something that you could point me to for further reading or will the software walk me through it. All my Blu-ray and DVD movies are ripped 1:1 full rips as folder structures. My main concern is TV series and Box sets. I have about a dozen TV series and Box sets that are in My movies they show up under one artwork cover but if I click on it then it shows the individual movies or TV series seasons for each disc under it's own artwork. I can choose that movie and it drops down to show it's cover art and information along with the ability to play it from it's own screen. Tv Series is along the same lines only when I pick a season it will show that season and each individual episode and its relevent information. I can pick a episode and it will jump directly to it and play it. When I stop or if I finish watching it will bring me back to the last page I was viewing.

I realize this may be asking a bit much, but since you are able to import another sql database into your sql database. I was wondering if the above scenario is able to transfer over to the mymovies app. I want to keep the initial setup to a minimum, but if I have to remap the series then so be it. You must have run accross this before, but there is not a lot of information in the forum for me to go by.

So if I'm understanding you correctly I am able to rent or buy movies from within the amazon app once I'm logged into my amazon account?

I'm currently getting by using J.River Media Center. It works fine, but it's convoluted and difficult to understand. It's also monolithic. The documentation is poor and the wiki is in desperate need of a update. Skinning threater view is a dark art as there is very little information available. I'd be typing in html in a text editor yuck! They have no application that allows you to create your own interface. I could do that with mydesigner if I choose to do that which might be the case if they above scenario isn't initially possible.

Allonis appeals to me because you have an actual client/server platform. I can make changes and push them out to my HTPC(s). I'm pretty tech savvy. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, and I work with high end software. I've come to expect a certain level of support, but I guess I shouldn't expect to much from a $60 app. They could at least have a updated wiki and video tutorials.

If is works out and it essentialy works out of the box, I'll keep kicking the tires and buy it before the trial ends starting with of course the server component along with mymovies and mymusic apps to start.

Regards,

Efrain

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 pm

re: PowerDVD - best is to try the existing driver...odds are it will work fine.
MediaPlayerClassic BE is a good player as well.

See the attached. When you have myContentManager connected to myServer, you can import your MyMovies collection xml.
Not sure how the import will handle your particular database but try it.

yes, we hear ya on J River. There was a driver written to control J River many years ago. But I don't think you really need that layer of complication.

Don't forget that myServer is a web served (not really client / server) platform. The much older MLServer was client / server (flash client) but that is way out of date now. Now you can use any modern browser device as a client.

have fun!!
Attachments
myMoviesImport.png
myMoviesImport.png (27.12 KiB) Viewed 517 times

Return to “Installation”