tsamuels

SQL installation fails

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Dave
I am considering upgrading from MLServer to MyServer so wanted to kick the tyres, but unfortunately SQL fails to install. I have attached the log file. Is this something you have seen before?
Attachments
myDBInstaller-09-09-2017.log
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: SQL installation fails

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 pm

I suspect it's the Windows Home Server....

I wonder if Home Server assigns dynamic ports to SQL Server...

http://allonis.com/template-features/pr ... FsbHkiXQ==

Look at the bottom of that article to see if it applies to your situation.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

You are running on Windows Home Server. That means enhanced security is turned on and that means it will not like the simple SA password that we use for SQL Server. That will cause the install of SQL Server to fail. So that means SQL Server will have to be manually installed. It's a simple process but I'll have to remote in to do it. Install TeamViewer and send me your TeamViewer credentials.

tsamuels

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 pm

When I investigated further I noticed that SQL had not been installed at all so decided to install manually, add the myserversql instance and changed to mixed authentication mode. I had to switch off password enforcement rules and could then set the appropriate password. I then re-ran the SQL server install through myinstaller and this time everything was installed and myserver has been working ok for the last couple of days. As it is working I'm assuming that nothing more needs to be done?
I was curious so ran the installer on my other WHS 2011 rig and it installed first time without an issue, so go figure! I did not modify password enforcement rules, but it certainly does look as though that was the issue on the other server.
As I needed to make some changes to kick the tyres and had already spent time on the install I simply decided to take the plunge and have now upgraded. I like what I see so far :)

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Excellent. Glad to hear you got it going without too much heartache.

Return to “Installation”