sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond myServer?
Is there life beyond myServer?

Upgrading from V4

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 am

I am going to get started on upgrading from v4 to v5, and in reading over the site I see that we can have v4 and v5 installed, but not running, on the same machine. Am I correct in reading this? If so, can I have v4 running and then use the designer to create v5 projects, or will my current v4 projects work with v5? Even if they do work, does it make more sense to create new projects with the new designer?

Thank you.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Upgrading from V4

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 am

You CAN have V4 and V5 installed on the SAME PC. You just cannot run both at the same time.

You CAN use the V5 myDesigner to build scenes using the V4 server.

When using the V5 designer against your old projects make sure you "Update The Support Files" first.

A major change in the new designer is the addition of the light wave effects when objects are pushed and the new Color selections using the Google Material Design color pallette. If you want the wave effects on your button pushes then you have to edit all the buttons on the scenes.

EUROTECH
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:15 am

I can only comment on my situation. I grabbed another cheap SSD drive lying around and installed windows from scratch and installed V5 to demo it. Not all drivers are available currently so if you overwrite your V4, you might be stuck waiting. I can easily swap back my V4 SSD with all my existing hardware and have it work perfectly until all the drivers that I need are up and running. I was able to install Win7 and V5 on a 120gb SSD and still have drive space left over. When everything is available for V5 and I can do a few weeks of testing, I will upgrade to a larger drive, import my V5 backup and purchase my licenses. Just food for thought.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:32 am

You shouldn't ever "overwrite" your V4 because you should accept the path defaults and they will install in a different folder.
The SQL server is installed next to the old one as well (application AND database).

Make sure you tell us which drivers you still need so we can prioritize.

Thanx for upgrading!

EUROTECH
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 pm

DavidL wrote:You shouldn't ever "overwrite" your V4 because you should accept the path defaults and they will install in a different folder.
The SQL server is installed next to the old one as well (application AND database).

Make sure you tell us which drivers you still need so we can prioritize.

Thanx for upgrading!

I don't want to push Dave as I'm sure he has his plate full already. For the most part all drivers I need are available except for the Panasonic projector. More importantly, and this could help others with the zone builder is to allow the kodi driver to be used as a movie source and to allow anything in the switching family to be used as either audio and video. As it stands now specifically, the AMX is for video, but I use it for audio in my home. I can't set it as an audio device in zone builder. This will allow zone builder to be even more flexible. A final thought in zone builder which I don't see yet is to allow 2 sources of the same (kodi for movies as an example ) within the same zone. Doing this can allow you to play one movie in one zone, or multiple zones and allow you to also switch back and allow separate movies in separate zones. Just more flexibility in the future.

randyf

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Add another vote for the Panasonic projector driver.

Thanks

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:10 pm

The Panasonic projector will be available tomorrow. The changes to Zone Builder will take longer.

EUROTECH
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:18 pm

AllonisDave wrote:The Panasonic projector will be available tomorrow. The changes to Zone Builder will take longer.
Thanks for the update, Dave. Let me know when zone builder can be worked with again. As it stands now, all the drivers currently in the switching family are not supported by the audio matrix portion of zone builder.

ffneil

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 pm

I took the plunge and am making the update to V5. I have two request for drivers, they are oldies but goodies at least for me. I am currently using MLComDevice to control my Mitsubishi HC1500 LCD Projector. I also use the MLYamaha to control my 4 older yamaha receivers. Any possibility these can be migrated. Thanks.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I can get a driver written for the HC1500 and I will finish the Yamaha driver for the older receivers. In the short term you can copy the V3 MLComDevice and MLYamaha dlls from the V4 plugins folder to the V5 plugins folder. Also make sure you copy the MLComDevice database from the data folder into the new data folder. This should allow you to use the old plugins until the device drivers are written.

ffneil

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Dave,

I am diving into the New Zone setup. My Mit HC1500 projector is still being controlled by the legacy MLCom driver. I assume that for it to work with the new Zone, it will need to be in the family manager. In your spare time, can you take a look at this. Thanks.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:07 pm

I just released a Mitsubishi HC1500 driver. Currently it does not create any feedback server variables. Install the driver and exercise the available commands while logging events to a file in the driver. If the commands work then email me back the event log so I can see what the projector is sending back and then create server variables from that data.

Return to “Installation”