RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Venstar driver not working?

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Recently, Venstar sent out a message asking users to upgrade their firmware. Which I did.

From the perspective of the thermostats, they all appear to be online. Additionally, they can all be accessed from the cloud/Skyport. And myServer is receiving beacons from all the thermostats (so they all appear to be online from myServer's perspective).

However, only two of the six thermostats can be controlled from myServer -- the other four thermostats do not respond to commands.

I turned on Device Driver logging, and you can see "Beacon Received" status from all the thermostats, along with a Status request from each thermostat. When I do something like increment a setpoint, I see a command "4~HeatSetPoint~Inc" being processed. [The driver does not appear to log any sort of data received other than beacons (for any of the thermostats).

- Roman

P.S. If this requires a fix, could you also address the reporting of "Offline" Venstar thermostats?
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Venstar driver not working?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Based on looking at the beacons from the Venstar, what seems to be happening...

For the non-working thermostats, I set the name of the room to "Guest Bedroom". The beacon transmits the name as "Guest%20Bedroom". Due to the presence of the "%20", the Venstar driver is no longer able to control the thermostat (though the driver thinks the thermostat is online).

For the working thermostats, the name is also of the form "Master Bedroom", but for these rooms the beacon is transmitted as "Master Bedroom" (with an actual space). I have no idea how to force the Venstar into using spaces rather than %20 -- it seems to always use %20 nowadays.

So, assuming my analysis is correct, my Venstar driver comments would be:

1. It would be good if the Venstar driver could deal with a "%20" in the thermostat name (and store the name in the myServer variable using a space).

2. It would be useful if the Venstar driver actually logged some information on reception of information from the thermostat (and not just on transmission of data to the thermostat). But that's just for debugging.

3. It would be good if the Venstar driver actually set climate_x_offline to "1" when the thermostat is offline -- currently the driver seems to set climate_x_offline to "0" when the thermostat is online, but never sets climate_x_offline to "1" when the thermostat is offline (I am doing log scraping to detect the offline condition, but that causes large log files).

Thanks,
Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Driver was updated today to deal with the %20 issue.

climate_X_offline is tracking for me here. Not sure why it doesn't for you. Are you seeing the "Is it online" message in the event logs?

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

AllonisDave wrote:

climate_X_offline is tracking for me here. Not sure why it doesn't for you. Are you seeing the "Is it online" message in the event logs?
I am seeing the "Is it online?" messages. The way I track the online status (actually) is turn on "Log to file" for the driver and I have a script that runs periodically and reads the log file and sees if there was an "Is it offline" message within the last two minutes -- and if there is such a message in the log, the script marks the thermostat offline. Traditional log scraping. :-)

I will try the new driver and see what happens.

- Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 pm

RZajcew wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm
AllonisDave wrote:

I am seeing the "Is it online?" messages. The way I track the online status (actually) is turn on "Log to file" for the driver and I have a script that runs periodically and reads the log file and sees if there was an "Is it offline" message within the last two minutes -- and if there is such a message in the log, the script marks the thermostat offline. Traditional log scraping. :-)

I will try the new driver and see what happens.

- Roman
Thanks for the extra logging on RX events!

1. Beacons are received from all thermostats. However, either the %20 is simply dropped (not changed to a blank) by the driver or the beacon is not handled by the driver if the name has a %20. [That is, the myServer variable doesn't include a blank]

2. It looks like the driver asks for status every 15 seconds. However, only the "Loft" thermostat responds with an RX (it's the only room with no %20).

3. It looks like all/most commands are now broken? That is, incrementing the setpoint doesn't work even for the loft. A step backwards?

Regards,
Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Not sure how %20 goes to a blank because the driver executes this code.

Code: Select all

bits[1] = bits[1].Replace("%20", " ");
I have one Venstar thermostat and I changed it's name to "My Kitchen" and it continues to work fine.

For all your thermostats that are not working manually browse to

http://<<tstat>>/query/info

This is what the driver is doing when it polls. What do they respond with?

One thing that might be different is that my thermostat is several years old and is running the original firmware.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:37 pm

AllonisDave wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 pm
Not sure how %20 goes to a blank because the driver executes this code.

Code: Select all

bits[1] = bits[1].Replace("%20", " ");
I have one Venstar thermostat and I changed it's name to "My Kitchen" and it continues to work fine.

For all your thermostats that are not working manually browse to

http://<<tstat>>/query/info

This is what the driver is doing when it polls. What do they respond with?

One thing that might be different is that my thermostat is several years old and is running the original firmware.
I doubt your code is being executed. :-) :-)

http://192.168.2.75/query/info, which is a thermostat that does not have a blank in its name gets:

{"name":"Loft","mode":0,"state":0,"fan":0,"fanstate":0,"tempunits":0,"schedule":0,"schedulepart":255,"away":0,"spacetemp":73.0,"heattemp":70.0,"cooltemp":78.0,"cooltempmin":35.0,"cooltempmax":99.0,"heattempmin":35.00,"heattempmax":99.0,"setpointdelta":3.0,"availablemodes":1}

http://192.168.2.78/query/info, which does have a blank in its name returns absolutely nothing. A Venstar FW bug. Sigh. http://192.168.2.78 by itself returns {"api_ver":5,"type":"residential"}, so the thermostat is "there", so to speak. The same applies to all the other thermostats with blanks in their names. Joy. I will contact Venstar about this.

So I changed all the names to not have blanks.

And none of the commands work for any thermostat. Well, that's because they are executed from (my own) VBScript, and the script was checking the model name. And the model name for Venstar thermostats was changed from "IP Tstat" to "Thermostat". Sigh. I think you did this in the latest driver? I mean, it's OK and my script now handles both names. But this did break my installation. It works now.

I will check online/offline behavior later.

Thanks,
Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Online/offline is now working correctly. Thanks!!!!

And (of course) thanks for the help in identifying the Venstar FW issue.

- Roman
Roman

Return to “Climate Family Device Drivers”