RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mysterious thermostat variables appearing

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:20 pm

From a climate perspective, I have 6 Venstar thermostats plus the potential of Elk thermostats -- though I don't have any Elk thermostats, and I don't expect to every use any.

The Venstar thermostats are numbered 1 thru 6, and appear in the list of family items. And these are the only items in the family list, which is correct. And the myServer variables for these thermostats appear to behave correctly.

However, there is an assortment of myServer variables created for climate_7, climate_8, and climate_9.

Climate_8 and climate_9 have id, model, and alias defined (id is "8" or "9", alias is "TSTAT1" and "TSTAT3", model is "IP Tstat".

Climate_7 has alias as "Thermostat01", id is "7", level is "0", model is "Thermostat", name is "Thermostat01", zone is "CLIMATE1", descr and floor are empty.

These might have started appearing when I enabled the Elk driver, but I am not sure. Deleting the variables does not help -- they come back. And I have checked the Elk configuration, and there are no thermostats defined.

Thanks,
Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Mysterious thermostat variables appearing

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:38 pm

If they keep coming back some driver is discovering them. Do they appear in the climate family devices? What driver are they tied to?

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 pm

OK, I got back trying to test this. But now I am getting a bit confused.

Deletion of server variables doesn't appear to work correctly? That is, I go into the "Server Variables", I delete some variables (and of course they disappear from the list). I then shut down myServer (using the normal techniques). And when I restart myServer the variables are still there. Their values have been cleared out (all fields are empty), but the variables exist. I even tried a StoreVariables operation prior to the shutdown, and this didn't change anything.

- Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:51 am

Looking at the deletion of variables again...

It looks to me as if deleting variables from the myServer UI using either the "X" or the Delete key does not really work. Actually, it *appears* to work (the variable disappears from the list). But the variable name comes back after myServer is restarted, with empty variable values.

However, if variables are deleted using DelVariable, the variables are well and truly deleted (not visible after myServer is restarted).

- Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for finding that. Fixed in the next server release.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 pm

You're welcome.

And, just to close the circle on this, the "mysterious themostat variables" were simply a consequence of the myServer bug with the deleted variables re-appearing. I had originally thought that since the variables were re-appearing every time myServer restarted, that a driver must be re-populating the variables. But since I deleted the variables using DelVariable, the variables have not reappeared. Not surprisingly.

- Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm

FYI, the issue with deleting variables from the Server Variables tab still exists in the latest version of myServer.

- Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 pm

With respect to the issue I reported earlier in the thread:
It looks to me as if deleting variables from the myServer UI using either the "X" or the Delete key does not really work. Actually, it *appears* to work (the variable disappears from the list). But the variable name comes back after myServer is restarted, with empty variable values.

However, if variables are deleted using DelVariable, the variables are well and truly deleted (not visible after myServer is restarted).
This appears to be fixed now. I think it was fixed in the most recent release.

- Roman
Roman

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanx for the feedback!

Return to “Climate Family Device Drivers”