indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Ecobee Thermostat Support?

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:21 am

Hi All! I just curious if there is currently any support for Ecobee thermostats, either directly or through Wink? It's time to change out my thermostats and I hear/read good things about them.

Any thoughts on what you guys use would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Ecobee Thermostat Support?

Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:22 pm

There is a public api for these thermostats. The api is similar in scope to the Nest. I would like to write a driver for it. I'd have to use your thermostats for testing.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:53 pm

We have been having good success with Venstar wiFi thermostats. They are not cloud based (like Nest) which is a good thing for quality automation. There is a driver available now for them.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:01 am

David - I will spend some more time researching Venstar.

Dave - Since Wink/Ecobee integration already exists, is using the Wink driver an option until a dedicated Ecobee driver can be written?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:13 am

What we don't like about Wink, and Nest is that they are both cloud based solutions
Increases latency of commands, decreases reliability and arguably, decreases security.
The best solutions are local to myServer within the home to improve all of the above.
And then let myServer optionally communicate to the cloud where you are (when outside of the home) which is less critical than when in the home.

If you are using Zwave with Wink, then you should consider myZWave controller which is based on a Rasberry Pi3.
We also will be developing a driver soon for the USB Aeonlabs Stick which we also like as it is easy to bring the stick around the house to Include / Exclude devices. If your myServer is within proximity of a couple of the ZWave devices, then the signal can hop to rest of devices from there. The myZwave controller is good for when myServer is remote from the ZWave devices. I have this situation where my outbuilding (pole barn) is too far away...so I create a second ZWave network out there with the myZwave.

Not sure if Ecobee is already supported in Wink / myServer Wink driver. Dave might know.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:24 am

I completely agree with your approach and definitely like the direct, non-cloud based model. I have a combination of both zwave and ZigBee devices so my situation is a little more complicated. Wink is not my favorite device but I will say that it has been very stable and has worked well as a result of software updates over the past 6-9 months.

I have been looking for a reason to get a raspberry pie to play with, but myServer is close to my zwave devices so the USB stick will probably be fine. Just need to solve my ZigBee need as well if I were to move away from Wink.

Synergy_Tech

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Would a Vera controller be an option? I believe it supports both Z-wave and Zigbee

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 pm

A Vera could work as well but for right now the Wink is fine. myServer has a Wink driver and it works well so I have no complaints. I have been interested in a Vera or SmartThings for some time (I realize that SmartThings is cloud-based as well but it seems to have tremendous support). However, I have knack for over-complicating things when I already have a working solution so I probably need to leave well-enough alone for now.

With that being said...I'll probably order a Vera to play around with :D

Synergy, what are you using for Z-wave/Zigbee communication?

Hisma

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 pm

I have the ecobee driver, and for some reason, I am constantly having to re-authorize the driver. I have my thermostat on my "dashboard", and it's frequently stuck at 75 degrees. When I check the driver, it gives me a message that it needs to be authorized. I haven't put an exact time on it, but I'd say it loses authorization after a few weeks or so. Now, I'm not sure if the problem is on the ecobee api side, or on the myserver side. But it seems random. Once I go through the re-authorization process again, all is good, but obviously I would prefer to just "set it and forget it".

Anyone else use the ecobee driver and have experienced this problem?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

Hi Hisma!
I have had an ecoBee for quite a while and it has not had any issue with authentication relearning.
So, don't have any tidbits for you.
Have you checked ecoBee's forum to see if there are any ideas there?

Hisma

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am

I searched their forums and found that some people were losing authentication by having multiple devices on one account. I only have one device, but, I had another app with api access on my account that I was no longer using (I had smartthings integrated w/ ecobee at one point). I have since removed that app and now the only app w/ access to my account is myserver.

I will see how well it holds up and report back if I find it lose its authentication again.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am

That would make sense. Let us know!

fahrer

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 am

I also have the ecobee API disconnect from time to time. I'm not sure exactly what the frequency is because I only notice when I go to use it and it doesn't actually work.

I do have another app connected to the ecobee that has the same disconnection issue so it doesn't seem specific to myServer but rather an ecobee issue. Please do let us know if limiting to one ecobee connection resolves the issue long-term!

I wish I didn't buy a cloud-connected thermostat...

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 am

"I wish I didn't buy a cloud-connected thermostat..."
Exactly, that's why we recommend Venstar.
I have both a Honeywell and an EcoBee currently. Got both for testing.
Originally had an RCS that got fried by a lightning strike.
We put Venstar in our installation jobs.

Hisma

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm

welp, disconnected again. this really appears to be an ecobee thing. what a pain. roughly 1 week and it's disconnected.

i love the ecobee so i may just live w/o having it integrated w/ allonis. It's quite capabale as a stand-alone device. I really only use it to get a quick read-out of the current temperature setting. I will mod my dashboard to display something else in its place :P

Return to “Climate Family Device Drivers”