brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm

I remember on my old CAV6.6 with Mainlobby that the Mainlobby Russound driver could "listen" for button presses which was great for controlling J River.

I'm now using an MCA-C5 with myServer - can myServer "listen" for button presses from the Russound keypad? I could use this to have keypad control over my audio via Chromecast audio w/ Homeseer HS3. Already tested it from a raw command it works great! Next track would be "BLML2HS|HS-ControlDevice~151~Go To End" - works beautifully.

Just wondering how I can assign this to a keypad button press on the keypad itself.

Thanks!

User avatar
AllonisDave
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11497
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact: Send private message

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Check the Russound driver event log. There is logic in there to call a macro when a keypad button is pressed. You should see those events in the driver event log.

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm

AllonisDave wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Check the Russound driver event log. There is logic in there to call a macro when a keypad button is pressed. You should see those events in the driver event log.
Thanks - I'm using the Russound RIO driver and I don't see anything in the logs when I press a button on the physical keypad. I do see events being logged if I trigger actions from the myServer client, but nothing when I do a physical keypress, no matter which key I press.

Is this functionality part of the RIO driver, or would I have to go back to serial to get this?

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 pm

brettcp wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm
AllonisDave wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Check the Russound driver event log. There is logic in there to call a macro when a keypad button is pressed. You should see those events in the driver event log.
Thanks - I'm using the Russound RIO driver and I don't see anything in the logs when I press a button on the physical keypad. I do see events being logged if I trigger actions from the myServer client, but nothing when I do a physical keypress, no matter which key I press.

Is this functionality part of the RIO driver, or would I have to go back to serial to get this?
I switched back to the original Russound driver (non-RIO) with a serial cable, and now I do see the keypad presses being detected by the driver and looking for the "Russound.Keypad.Next", etc.. I created the macros and now the keypad buttons on the MCA-C6 keypads can control my Spotify radio via Chromecast audio/Homeseer HS3. This works great!

For the final piece of the puzzle, is it possible to display custom text on the displays of the keypads? I tried the "Message" command via the Russound driver but it doesn't seem to do anything. If I were able to do this, I could display the track info on the keypad display as its populated in HS3.

User avatar
AllonisDave
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11497
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact: Send private message

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I have seen the Russound driver's message command working in the past. AV|1~Message~1~Hello world

What does the Russound driver log look like when you send the message command?

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Here you go:

10/8/2018 2:23:12 PM ProcessCommand Cmd=[1~Message~4~Hello world] Client=[MyClient1]
10/8/2018 2:23:12 PM TX:1 F0 00 03 00 00 03 70 00 02 01 01 00 00 00 01 00 0F 00 00 00 00 48 65 6C 6C 6F 20 77 6F 72 6C 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6B F7
10/8/2018 2:23:12 PM ProcessResponse Handshake Message [F0 00 03 70 00 03 00 02 02 73 F7]

Nothing changes on the display of the keypad when this occurs.

User avatar
AllonisDave
Founder
Founder
Posts: 11497
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact: Send private message

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am

According to the Russound protocol that is correct. Try the MessageAll command to see if it works differently.

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 am

AllonisDave wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am
According to the Russound protocol that is correct. Try the MessageAll command to see if it works differently.
Here are a few tests, nothing displayed on the keypad for any of these:

10/10/2018 8:51:50 AM ProcessCommand Cmd=[1~MessageAll~TestMessage] Client=[MyClient]

10/10/2018 8:49:34 AM ProcessCommand Cmd=[1~Message~1~TestMessage] Client=[MyClient]
10/10/2018 8:49:34 AM TX:1 F0 00 00 00 00 00 70 00 02 01 01 00 00 00 01 00 0F 00 00 00 00 54 65 73 74 4D 65 73 73 61 67 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0E F7
10/10/2018 8:49:34 AM ProcessResponse Handshake Message [F0 00 00 70 00 00 00 02 02 6D F7]

10/10/2018 8:49:43 AM ProcessCommand Cmd=[1~Message~All~TestMessage] Client=[MyClient]
10/10/2018 8:49:43 AM TX:1 F0 7F 00 00 00 00 70 00 02 01 01 00 00 00 01 00 0F 00 00 00 00 54 65 73 74 4D 65 73 73 61 67 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0D F7
10/10/2018 8:49:46 AM ProcessResponse Time Event

randyf
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 am
Location: Northern Virginia
Contact: Send private message

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I've noticed this on some of my Uno keypads as well. At one point, I narrowed it down to the firmware version on each of the keypads. The ones that worked were using a certain version of the firmware and the ones that didn't work seemed to be an older version of the firmware. It took me a while to find a cable to use to update the firmware and I haven't had a chance to test this out further. In any case, I wanted to pass this along in case it might help.

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm

randyf wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 pm
I've noticed this on some of my Uno keypads as well. At one point, I narrowed it down to the firmware version on each of the keypads. The ones that worked were using a certain version of the firmware and the ones that didn't work seemed to be an older version of the firmware. It took me a while to find a cable to use to update the firmware and I haven't had a chance to test this out further. In any case, I wanted to pass this along in case it might help.
Thanks - these aren't UNO keypads, they are the newer MDK-C6 keypads. I'm using them with an MCA-C5 controller.

brettcp
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact: Send private message AOL

Re: Can the Russound driver "listen" for keypad presses?

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 pm

I spoke with Russound about sending custom messages to the MDK-C6 keypads, the tech over there did not think it is possible given the way the new keypads work. Just FYI.

Return to “A/V Family Device Drivers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest