gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Operating System advice, please?

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:10 pm

I am about to rebuild one of my two "server" systems. These two systems are nearly identical hardware and share primary/secondary responsibilities for:
  • file storage / serving
    print serving
    DHCP
    DNS

Apache web servers
    PERL servers
    PHP servers

MLServer
    HomeSeer
    Audio-video controls

Main Lobby
    Main Lobby development

The one I am not rebuilding is primary on HTPC output

The one I am rebuilding is primary on Remote Desktop Server
I think I hit all the major stuff. They're both P4-3GHz with plenty of storage and memory and such.

I'm currently running Windows Server 2003 Small Business edition on the RDP server system and only afterward found out that it will not support more than two simultaneous RDP clients.

Here's the advice I'd like from those experienced with both, please:
reload with XP (and use the RDP hack, which seems to work great for multiple clients) or reload with Windows Server 2003 Standard edition?

Do any of you know if I will be able to run W2K3Std as a Terminal Server system and have it serve more than two RDP clients if it is the sole server? Or does that require a different domain controller in the tree? I can't tell from the M$ crap and we have so many servers at the office, I would never know if it was a requirement or not. I'd like the additional security and control of Server, but will ditch it if I can't get over 2 RDPs to it.

Thanks!

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:53 pm

Yes, the W2K3 standard edition will support more than 2 RDP clients. That said, the RDP support for more requires the installation of Terminal Services in something other than remote administration mode, which is what all of these MS boxes that only have 2 RDP client connections allowed are actually running in. You need to set up MS Licensing to tell it how many CALs you are using, etc. It actually requires a separate authorization/activation to MS to use Terminal Services mode but I believe it will run all of it on the same server. Like you, I don't remember because we don't really set up systems like that normally. The whole activation thing is kind of a pain, but OK if you have an Enterprise Agreement or the like. (Not really meant for the home user)

I started out with W2K3 Enterprise edition on my HT server (I had and extra licensed copy so it was free...), then switched out when I found so many ease of use issues related to ML/MC and the related lines. Because they were designed with single user (XP) OS's in mind, they don't have the intelligence to see other instances running before starting. No big deal, I'm just lazy and found it easier to use XP. That way I have the same issues as everyone else, so I guess I would recommend XP!

Let me know if you end up wanting to use the TS stuff and I will look and let you know which licensing mode you want to use to avoid all the PITA MS stuff about CALS.

Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning that way... and I'm going to go ahead and give it a rip with XP. Worst case, I'll have another reinstall on my hands! :lol:

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 pm

One other thing. When I reinstalled XP over 2003, I didn't reformat, just "upgraded" the OS. It left all my files in place (which was good, because I had a few GB of music on it already). I did have to reinstall all the programs because the registry was wiped, but all in all I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I was using an older XP disk that didn't appear to recognize the 300GB partition size I had made under 2k3, but I used it anyway just to see what would happen. After I installed all the XP updates, I have had no problems.

Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:06 am

Thanks again, Bob.

XP is up and running now (reformatted it... I'm just paranoid). Updates all done, shares all rebuilt, time to install HomeSeer!

:D

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue May 10, 2005 5:01 pm

Gregoryx,

Are you still running XP, or did you ever go back to 2003. I was also curious as to how many RDP sessions you use from XP, or if you use
the thinsoft software.

finger on the format key.

Charles

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Tue May 10, 2005 7:17 pm

XP's working like a champ. Only two RDP sessions while still leaving the main screen intact. I'd probably consider Thinsoft if I needed more clients over the hassle of the server.

atlreguy

RDP Client Hack for XP

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:41 am

Is this what you did to enable more RDP sessions?

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

Thanks,

Josh

Return to “What's Your System Configuration”