chrisan

iPhone Interface Black Screen

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm

I have in interesting (and very frustrating) problem that is rendering my iPhone client somewhat useless. I have a Safari bookmark on my homescreen for my Allonis app. It's nice because it opens in full screen mode and I have a convenient button on my iPhome to access the app.

Every once in a while I hit it and I just get a black screen. Stays black for several minutes. Then eventually opens up. Monitoring MyServer shows no reaction when hitting the Allonis icon. While the screen is still black, if I open Safari and go to my Allonis bookmark, it opens just fine, but not in full screen mode. Plus I had to go through the extra steps to get there. Something I'm trying to avoid doing.

Thoughts, recommendations, help?

Thanks, Chris

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: iPhone Interface Black Screen

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:36 pm

Sounds like a networking problem.

chrisan

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 pm

OK I'm going to start some experiments to see if this only happens on WiFi or only using cellular data connection or both. Will report back.

Thanks David.

chrisan

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:48 pm

OK, I turned off my WiFi on my iPhone for teh past 4 days. No black screens, no sluggish response, etc.

So I started looking at my home WiFi setup. The access point I've been hitting uses the 802.11 b/g protocol. A little slow. I do have another access point on 802.11 g/n protocol and have been playing around with that. It's still not as snappy as just turning the WiFi off on the phone.

So I'm thinking of upgrading the access point to one using 802.11 ac. Note: my router is a 1Gb speed router.

Am I on the right path?

Thanks, Chris

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:28 pm

Sure but I doubt that the potential speed difference is causing the issues...but you might as well try a modern access point.

chrisan

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:45 pm

David,

My system needs an upgrade anyway so I purchased a faster access point and will probably add another one soon. MyServer computer also needs an upgrade and that is in the works as well. Going to go as far as I can on my own with this project but I'm sure at some point I'll need to hire the Allonis team to put the final touches on the project.

It is really cool stuff how much you guys have integrated. I really like my app. Getting addicted to it. Now I'm too lazy to walk over and use a wall switch to turn on a light. I keep thinking of more things to integrate. I show it to all of my friends. LOL

Chris

chrisan

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:01 pm

*** UPDATE ***

Updated my access point to one using the 802.11ac protocol. Five days now and no black screens or screens with just the background showing. This used to happen several times a day so I am hopeful. And response time is really, really snappy even with my more data intensive scenes.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 pm

Good news!
I wouldn't have thought the old Wifi would be that slow!

chrisan

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:14 pm

It worked for me David and I would definitely recommend it for other users reporting a similar issue. I'm very happy now. :) :)

Return to “myServer”