simonmason
Is there life beyond myServer?

MyServer becoming unresponsive

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:42 am

I have been running into an issue over the last several months where MyServer becomes unresponsive. It will run fine for about a week or so, then, usually in the morning after having not interacted with it for some time (overnight) I get no response from the web interface, and same is true on the server app.

This morning I had the issue with MyServer - I tried to pull up some news stories on RSS, got about three clicks in and then it stopped responding. I checked the server app and it was unresponsive. Nothing unusual showing in the log.

I was running the latest version of MyServer:
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 8.37.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 8.37.29 AM.png (205.08 KiB) Viewed 169 times
But then I stepped back a version wondering if recent upgrades had introduced this issue - still has the issue. Any thoughts on how I can monitor this more closely to diagnose it? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Re: MyServer becoming unresponsive

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:35 am

Do you have devices in one of the families that are not online and not responding to communications? Make sure you have enabled only stuff that you are using.

Look in Windows Event log to see if you can see more info on whats happening.

simonmason

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am

Good thought. I have disabled three plugins and a bunch of device drivers that are not in use.

I have also started monitoring from homeseer using a process monitoring plugin.

Fingers crossed.
Simon D. S. Mason

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:49 am

Are you using Watchdog? No need for Homeseer.

Also, reliability is about simplicity. What are you doing in Homeseer that you don't think you can do in myServer?
Back in the day (12 years ago), I saw the need. Today? not so much for 99.9% of installs.

simonmason

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 pm

I have way too much running on homeseer. It is the central nervous system of my HA setup.

Thousands of lines of scripts - runs my AV, security, irrigation, lighting, solar and power management, pool, climate, etc.

But I also run other devices - Lutron light controller, Philips Hue, Hubitat Pro.

I balance the processes between the various devices and tie everything together with homeseer. Seems to work really well.

Again I am a hacker. Not recommended for the typical user.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:42 am

MyServer became unresponsive again this morning. I didn't see anything unusual in it's memory usage, etc. It is currently in that state right now. Task manager reports it as running. If it is worth it I can leave it in this state and share team viewer credentials if logging in to look would help? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am

You have a very complicated system and network. You will just have to break it down and isolate the issue.
First step (as mentioned before) is ensure all software is latest (all elements).
Second - uninstall any software or drivers that aren't being used
Third- disable any devices that don't exist on the system
Fourth - check event logs for clues
Fifth - shutdown drivers / apps to isolate issue

It can take many hours to do the above. We can do that as a professional services engagement, but it is highly recommended that you do this on your own due to your systems complexity.

simonmason

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:30 am

There are a couple of things that I have done in the last few months since this started happening. I will start backing these out.

Also, my server is running windows 7 and I have started thinking about moving it to Windows 10 and upgrading hardware. Now would be a good time to start thinking about this. A clean install is always a good thing.
Simon D. S. Mason

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am

Check all the device drivers you have in play. Are any trying to re-connect to something that it cannot reach? This eats cpu cycles and can have a negative impact on server performance. Empty your windows temp folders. Both c:\windows\temp and C:\Users\<<USERNAME>>\AppData\Local\Temp.

sonypoolplr

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:16 am

I have been having the same issues about once or twice a week. Yesterday it became unresponsive while playing music from myMusic playlist. I will check the above suggestions, but I wanted to throw it out there that I am having issues too.

simonmason

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 am

Everything was rock solid until around July timeframe. I am monitoring the server and it is not showing any unusual behavior in terms of resources or memory when it happens. In fact the server log shows that it appears to be processing some requests when it gets into this state but noting in the UI responds and the touchscreens also do not respond. So far I haven't put my finger on a cause but I am going through all of the suggestions that Dave provided.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 am

It happened again this morning - I noticed these entries in the log. The last one - line 8625 was the last thing the server logged. 192.168.2.1 is my router. I am guessing this is just a heartbeat for Internet connectivity or something similar? But thought I would check just in case.

Line 8217: 10/14/2019 5:26:43 AM SocketServer Disconnected from 192.168.2.1 on port 62591 with ID fef123f3-4c9a-46e1-9c7f-44df4a0e1c4a-62591
Line 8391: 10/14/2019 5:34:49 AM SocketServer Disconnected from 192.168.2.1 on port 63381 with ID 0f36bbd2-1190-49a9-9981-8206397cca55-63381
Line 8625: 10/14/2019 5:45:04 AM SocketServer Disconnected from 192.168.2.1 on port 64176 with ID 3519a727-cec9-4c0d-ae3a-1c1893c94053-64176

So far I cannot see anything unusual in the logs. I have disabled everything I can think of, and cleaned out all of the temp directories.

I am going to turn up the logs to tracking to see if anything shows.
Simon D. S. Mason

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 am

What time approximately? I mean, I too periodically get this...

simonmason

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm

The last entry in the log was the SocketServer Disconnected at 5:45:04 AM EST.

It does appear that I discover this issue first thing in the morning. But I am not looking closely at the time it is happening. I am now running with trace events on and will see if it happens again. Then will look closely at the time.
Simon D. S. Mason

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 am

What time do you perform your myServer backups? Normally it is around 1:00 AM.

This is preliminary because on limited analysis:
I just had a situation where I was low on disk space because back up jobs were failing - maybe because of low disk. This caused myServer to crash, then the watchdog would restart myServer 5, it would attempt to perform another backup, crash due to low disk, and keep repeating the cycle.

Maybe something that I can repeat.... More to come.

Return to “myServer”