bpet

CAA66 Plug-In RS232 Speed

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm

just realized I posted this on the old Cinemar site - re-posting here :)

I currently have 6 Home Theater Receivers that are each connected to in ceiling speakers throughout the house and the speaker wires centrally run back to an entertainment center in the family room. I use the GC-100 to send IR to the receivers to execute the commands coming from MLServer. The audio is coming from 3 external sound cards from the PC. This setup has not been ideal - I think the biggest issue is that it takes a few seconds to turn on a receiver before it is ready to receive a command or start playing the audio. I also use the IR to send Volume Up/Down commands so that the volume can be adjusted for each room - this also seems like it takes a bit to adjust because the command has to be repeated many times: ie: up 5 levels, would be 5 IR sends - possibly separated by a short pause. A few seconds feels like a while if your standing in front of the LCD on the wall just watching the swirly go around until the state changes - and if someone is not familiar with the system, they start pressing other buttons etc.

I'm considering getting the CAA66 and buying the MLServer plug-in, but I'm wondering if someone that has experience with controlling it via MLServer RS232 can give me their opinion about how speedy it is at doing the following:
turns on/off zones
increases or decreases volume
changes sources
updates zone state variables

I currently use sensors to show the on/off state of my AV Receivers and so I'm also wondering if the RS232 does a good job showing which zones are on/off. I am concerned about spending the $1000 for the CAA66 and then learning that it is not a big improvement to my current setup.

Thanks for any input! :)

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: CAA66 Plug-In RS232 Speed

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

All of those response times are measured in milliseconds. I have a CAV66 here and the CAA66 works the same way. Also, you have direct access to volume level via a volume slider so you do not have to press up or down a bunch of times. You'll definitely want to upgrade to the V5 myServer to get the best possible performance.

bpet

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am

Dave,
Thanks for the response....I know that MLServer is no longer supported, but will I still be able to purchase the plug-in and use with the existing system. I think its pretty mature by now and so I would guess that I would not need support other than what I can read from old posts in the forum. I assume the CAA66 would work better than the HTD MCA-66? Its going to cost a lot for the CAA66 and so I don't think I can upgrade to MyServer just yet....Also, is there a way to look at my account into your system to see what plug-ins/family's etc. that I currently have purchased and see what the total upgrade price would be to MyServer so that I can plan on it in a few months?

Thanks again,
Brett

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Here are the software prices:
http://allonis.com/template-features/au ... suite.html

MLServer components can no longer be purchased and aren't supported anymore.

You really should upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

Thanx for the consideration!

bpet

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm

David,
I call MLserver.exe from Batch files to run macros - after my Camera software triggers an alert - will that work in MyServer or do I have to do it using a different method? (besides having to call MyServer instead of MLServer)

I also use the MLGC100 Global Cache to send IR and Serial Commands - will that still work?

I want to be sure I am understanding all of the costs involved if I decide to upgrade to MyServer. If I upgrade from V4, it will be $129.99 plus $29.99 for the 5 client licenses. I believe my old Mainlobby based touchscreens will still function properly, correct? I don't have Vantage, Lutron, or Life Touch - but I do have a lot of UPB devices - but that's included and so I should be fine there. I currently use MusicLobby, would I have to buy the $59 Music App? I also use Photolobby, so would I have to buy myPhotos? $49.99 So, it would be $129.99+29.99+59.99+49.99 = $269.96 - Does that sound correct?

Looks like I could save some money by going with the HTD MCA-66 instead of the Russound CAA66. Is the plug-in for the MCA-66 two way? There is also a Dayton Audio DAX66 which looks appealing because it has a 5 year warranty - but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. And I have seen some used B&K CT600's, but I'm not familiar with their quality either? Do you have an opinion if these devices will work the same or if the CAA66 will sound or function better?

Thanks again,
Brett

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I call MLserver.exe from Batch files to run macros - after my Camera software triggers an alert - will that work in MyServer or do I have to do it using a different method? (besides having to call MyServer instead of MLServer)
Yes this will still work. But if your camera software is capable of sending web commands it will be more efficient to send those trigger commands into the server via its web interface (http://server ip address/command="any valid server command")
I also use the MLGC100 Global Cache to send IR and Serial Commands - will that still work?
Yes just install the Global Cache driver.
I want to be sure I am understanding all of the costs involved if I decide to upgrade to MyServer. If I upgrade from V4, it will be $129.99 plus $29.99 for the 5 client licenses. I believe my old Mainlobby based touchscreens will still function properly, correct? I don't have Vantage, Lutron, or Life Touch - but I do have a lot of UPB devices - but that's included and so I should be fine there. I currently use MusicLobby, would I have to buy the $59 Music App? I also use Photolobby, so would I have to buy myPhotos? $49.99 So, it would be $129.99+29.99+59.99+49.99 = $269.96 - Does that sound correct?
Given your previous purchases the most economical route for you is the myServer Core Suite Upgrade from MLServer 4 for $239.

The old MainLobby Flash scenes will work but you will have to make changes to some of the server commands to bring them into V5 alignment. Long term you will want to ditch the dead Flash client for the V5 web apps. At some point in time Flash will stop running altogether.
Looks like I could save some money by going with the HTD MCA-66 instead of the Russound CAA66. Is the plug-in for the MCA-66 two way? There is also a Dayton Audio DAX66 which looks appealing because it has a 5 year warranty - but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. And I have seen some used B&K CT600's, but I'm not familiar with their quality either? Do you have an opinion if these devices will work the same or if the CAA66 will sound or function better?
All those devices work the same and the quality of the sound is more determined by the speakers being used. The amps all have similar features. All the drivers are two-way.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”