AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Samsung TV with IP Control

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Does anyone own a Samsung TV that is connected to your network and allows IP control? If so can I test a V4 driver on your system?

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Samsung TV with IP Control

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 pm

I have one that is connected to my network and I believe it allows IP control. It is a 2012 model. You are welcome to give it a shot!

Davis

tmcgowan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello Dave,

I have two Samsung UN60ES8000 smart TV's and was wondering if your new plug-in will be coming out soon?

Thanks,

Todd

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Haven't had too much luck with the current driver. Most reports say if a Samsung TV gets turned off there is no way to turn it on without the remote. Does this model have a serial port? Or the mini-din service port that needs to be enabled? It would be interesting to see what kind of control we have via UPNP once it is connected to the network. I'd have to remote into your server to check that out.

tmcgowan

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 am

CinemarDave wrote:Haven't had too much luck with the current driver. Most reports say if a Samsung TV gets turned off there is no way to turn it on without the remote. Does this model have a serial port? Or the mini-din service port that needs to be enabled? It would be interesting to see what kind of control we have via UPNP once it is connected to the network. I'd have to remote into your server to check that out.
Your reports are correct about not being able to turn the TV(s) on by remote. Even Samsung's Apple iPhone/iPad App can't turn it on (although it can turn it off). However, you can turn it on via voice command ("Hi TV, TV Power ON [Off]"). Once it's on, you can control it via eithernet or WiFi (if enabled). As for other connector ports, unfortunately, there's no serial port or mini-din. Here's a list from the owner's manual:

CONNECTIONS
• HDMI®: 3
• USB: 3
• Ethernet: 1
• Component in: 1
• Shared composite in: 2 AV
• Digital audio output: 1 optical
• Anynet+™ (HDMI-CEC)

I guess it'll be back to using my GC-100-6

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

The possibility exists that we can control it via IP but it would be an experiment. I would have to remote into your MLServer PC and do a quick test. Email me Teamviewer info if you want me to do that.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:04 pm

I would love to see a Samsung plug-in too. Let me know if I can help.

Davis

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am

I won't know what will be possible until I can remote into someone's server who has one of these TVs turned on so I can look at its capabilities with my network software. I'll need TeamViewer info along with the IP Address of the TV.

snickers1

Sat May 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Dave i have this tv in my bar area

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074F ... UTF8&psc=1

it hardwired to the network and i think you have my teamviewer info so i want to revisit this driver let me know you free to try to get it working

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:30 pm

A Samsung TV driver has been released that should support all Samsung Smart TVs. The first time it connects to the TV you will have to grant access to the driver from the TV. After access has been granted it should continue to work. Give is a test and let us know how you make out. You will have to manually add the TV (AV Family) in Family Manager. You will have to specify the IP address of the TV using the default port.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 am

I have two Samsungs connected to network.

When on, both show up in router log as connected and both respond to commands using this new IP driver (when adding a TV to the driver, open Command Builder and fire a command, then have your Samsung remote handy; on the TV, you will see a Samsung popup window where as Dave says you have to click "allow" to grant access to the MainLobby driver as an attached controller).

When TVs are off, the network connection is terminated; the TVs no longer show up as an attached device on my router, and thus do not respond to a power on command. I recall with Denon driver, I had to go into Denon settings and allow the network to remain connected when the Denon is powered down to standby mode. At quick glance I did not see a similar setting for the Samsung. Any help here?

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:52 pm

That is a "feature" of all the Samsung TVs. When you power them off it becomes impossible to turn them back on via the network. The only way to turn them back on is via IR. Samsung engineers actually think that is a good idea. Go figure?

snickers1

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:34 pm

CinemarDave wrote:That is a "feature" of all the Samsung TVs. When you power them off it becomes impossible to turn them back on via the network. The only way to turn them back on is via IR. Samsung engineers actually think that is a good idea. Go figure?
Great Feature :shock: ... maybe they make a change in a firmware update .... prob wishfull thinking thou, kinda sucks i only have one global cache for the my projector other then that Cinemar controls everything over ip.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:54 pm

....and thus why we do not control TV's or projectors via IP in the commercial world. We still use rs-232 even if "IP control" is available. As with most of the industry, there are very few standards established between manufacturers.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

snickers1

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 am

DaveB wrote:....and thus why we do not control TV's or projectors via IP in the commercial world. We still use rs-232 even if "IP control" is available. As with most of the industry, there are very few standards established between manufacturers.
maybe i am wrong but the i think the three samsung tv's i have two are about 2 years old and 1 is a new smartTV i don't think any of have rs-232 ports , I'm sure other brands prob still have so just means next time i shop for a tv it will be feature i will look for.

Dave do you think controling TV's via global cache and IR is jsut as realiable as rs-232 ?

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”