AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Vantage Controls Device Driver

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 pm

A native V4 device driver for all Vantage Controls devices has been released. It is a member of the Lighting and Climate families. MLServer has also been updated. The Family Manager Lighting section now has the ability to import a Vantage ".dc" export file for automatically populating the Lighting and Climate families with your Vantage devices.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Vantage Controls Device Driver

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:33 pm

I have recently upgraded my lighting system to a Vantage InFusion system (I had previously used a Vantage Q system and MLComDevice).

Yesterday I connected MLServer to the Vantage system. And it is connected just fine -- I can use MLServer to execute various tasks on the Vantage, the Design Center file has been imported and server variables have been set up and are being updated.

However, with great regularity, MLServer just stops responding. The only thing that seems to work is to kill MLServer externally (from Task Manager). It seems that if I hit a set of buttons in quick succession then this will happen quite quickly. But it seems to happen within minutes or hours, even if I do nothing unusual. For example, it just happened two minutes after rebooting MLServer, without me hitting any sorts of buttons.

I'm running with Verbose Logging on MLServer and with logging on the Vantage device driver, but I can't see anything unusual in either log.

- Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:07 pm

We have several other customers using Vantage and I'm not aware of any issues with their systems. First confirm that it is the Vantage driver causing your issue by removing it for several days. If it is the Vantage driver then seeing the Vantage event logs will be important.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 pm

I actually seem to be able to recreate the situation almost at will now. [I've restarted MLServer at least 15 times today]

What seems to set this off is a button that does a "Send Serial String" to the MLServer. In this specific case, it actually sends the string to the telnet port of the MainLobby server. Then a few minutes later the MLServer turns non-responsive.

The MLServer log simply ends with the button press/release:
6/21/2015 3:21:32 PM RX: S:BTN 533 PRESS
6/21/2015 3:21:32 PM RX: S:BTN 533 RELEASE

The MLServer log shows:
6/21/2015 3:21:32 PM Telnet_ConnectionsChanged Connection from 192.168.2.10 accepted

MLServer then quits responding at 3:22:19. The interesting thing is that MLServer shows no sign of actually processing the string that was sent by the Vantage. In this specific case, the string was Security|GuestHouseLock~Unlock. The Vera log shows no evidence of receiving this request. I have sent other (perhaps more benign) strings over the telnet connection. And I have seen MLServer receive these requests (I have entries in logs), but eventually it seems MLServer crashes due to even a benign request.

Without using these specific buttons, MLServer seems to stay up. I think.

- Roman
Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:16 pm

I went back and read the post on using telnet to MLServer. What I suspect must be happening is that MLServer starts trying to send variable updates to the Vantage, and the Vantage isn't reading anything on the connection.

Perhaps MLServer should do something other than just go non-responsive in this case (if my analysis is correct, that is).

I'm definitely not trying for that type of integration -- I'm just trying to have the Vantage controller initiate actions on MLServer under certain conditions.

I guess I could write an MLComDevice driver to do something "dumb" like this for me. But I was trying to move away from MLComDevice dependency.

- Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Huh?

The Vantage driver opens a tcp connection to the Vantage controller but it has nothing to do with the Telnet server built into MLServer. It only sends data to the Vantage controller when it sees and incoming command and then only polls every now and then to make sure the connection remains open. It relies on the Vantage controller to send feedback when something changes.

So I do not understand the problem. This driver is working fine for at least six other customers I know about.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 pm

I apologize for not being clear.

The Vantage driver from MLServer uses port 3001 and is working just fine. And I can use MLServer to make all sort of requests of the Vantage. And I am doing that constantly. I thought the problems I was seeing were because of the Vantage driver, but I believe I was incorrect and this exchange is now taking place under the wrong topic :-).

Where I am running into problems is in the reverse case. That is, I am trying to use the Vantage to initiate certain MLServer actions. And the way I was attempting to do this was via telnet to MLServer to try to explicitly invoke MLServer commands. That is, I was using the Vantage to send explicit strings to MLServer over the telnet port. And I believe that MLServer was "misbehaving" when the Vantage was not paying any attention to all the updates that MLServer was sending over that port. That's my theory, anyway.

And my solution to this *could* involve writing MLServer automation rules and pay attention to Vantage state changes and thus have MLServer respond correctly (without composing MLServer commands on the Vantage). Or I could write an MLComDevice driver to respond to MLServer commands. Some of my sequences are pretty complex, and I thought the MLComDevice solution might be easier for me. Or something else?

Or perhaps I have mis-analyzed the entire situation.

- Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Ok now I understand.

Instead of all the special telnet traffic can you tell the Vantage controller to simply send a string of text over its normal communication port 3001? I could modify the driver to look for those strings and act accordingly. For example. Could the Vantage controller send "MLServeCmd.<<any valid MLServer command>>"

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 pm

I tried to send some text over port 3001 by creating a "serial port" (so to speak) on the Vantage, using port 3001 with the MLServer IP address (basically I changed "23" to "3001"). [I wouldn't know any other way to do this]

However, I don't believe this worked at all. I looked at all the Ethernet traffic using Network Monitor, and all I see is the Vantage sending button press notifications, and none of the text that I specified is passing over the wire.

- Roman
Roman

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”