AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Russound Driver Released

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm

A native V4 device driver for all Russound equipment has been released. This driver supports all known Russound devices with the exception of the SM1 media streamer via serial connections. This driver DOES NOT support the Russound IP protocol. This is strictly a RNet protocol device driver. Read the following carefully because things are handled differently than in the legacy plugin.

First. This driver is a member of the A/V Family. Command builder will have the command syntax.
Each Russound device in your system will appear as a unique AV Family member. This does not mean you need a serial connection to each device. You only need to specify the serial port in play for the PRIMARY RNet controller. It is assumed all the remaining RNet devices will be daisy chained to the primary controller.
You send commands to the various Russound devices using the normal AV command syntax. The driver will make sure all the commands are routed through the primary RNet controller.

Q: How do I configure my Russound Devices in Family Manager?

A: You add the AV device like all Family Devices. When you get to the column labeled "Network Address" you will enter the RNET Device number for the specific Russound device. If the device is the primary RNet controller you will specify the serial port being used in the "Port" column. If the device IS NOT the primary RNet device then set the port value to "RNET".

Please see the attached images as this will then make sense. The first image shows 3 Russound devices in play. The CAV6.6 Rnet device #2 is the primary RNet controller and it is communicating on COM3. The other 2 Russound devices are RNet slaves so their port values have been set to RNET.

Q: I've got my RNet device connected to a Global Cache serial port. How do I set that up in Family Manager?

A: See the second image. The "Network Address" field now contains two values. The IP Address of the GC device and the RNet device ID separated by a colon. i.e. 192.168.1.70:2. The "Port" then is assigned to the appropriate GC module.

Q: How are Uno Keypad Events handled?

A: The driver will automatically pick up the button presses coming from the Uno keypads. When a keypad event happens the driver will look for the existence of a system macro that handles the event. If the macro exists then the macro will automatically be fired. When the macro is executed it is passed two parameters. The first parameter is the Family Device ID for the device the keypad is attached to and the second parameter is the zone number that the keypad is located in. You can use these two values to drive conditional statements in the macros to perform the actions you need them to do. These system macros have very unique names and they cannot be changed. The following list defines the current set of event macro calls.

Code: Select all

Russound.Keypad.Setup|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Previous|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Next|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Plus|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Minus|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Source|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Power|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Stop|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Pause|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Fav1|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Fav2|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.Play|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.VolUp|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.VolUp.Pulse|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.VolDown|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>> Russound.Keypad.VolDown.Pulse|<<Family Device ID>>~<<Keypad Zone #>>
Q: Is there any sample scenes that so me how do set this up?

A: Yes! The MainLobby Sample Client Scenes and the sample iPad and Android web apps have all been updated to now include a sample scene that emulates a Uno keypad. The third image below shows the sample iPad scene for Russound control.

Now for the Caveats. I have a single CAV6.6 in my office so the driver has only been tested with the CAV. The driver has support for all the radio commands but I cannot test them here. This driver also replaces the V4 RussoundST2 driver that was recently released.
Attachments
Russound-ViaSerial.jpg
Russound via Serial Control
Russound-ViaSerial.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Russound-ViaGC.jpg
Russound Via GC Connection
Russound-ViaGC.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Russound-Uno.jpg
Russound Uno Demo
Russound-Uno.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 4259 times

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Russound Driver Released

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:05 am

Is the device you do not support the DMS 3.1? You said SM1 but not sure if you meant the old SMS or the new DMS. I don't see either int eh list of supported devices.

So you have to use serial? You can't use the network port on the MCA-C3 even if it is set to RNET protocol?

On the MCA-C3 there is a built in Tuner, do you give it the device ID and set it up as an ST2?

If you don't have one to mess with, I had to send mine back to Russound but I am getting it back soon and could make it available for testing.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 am

>>> Is the device you do not support the DMS 3.1? You said SM1 but not sure if you
>>> meant the old SMS or the new DMS. I don't see either int eh list of supported devices.

From the information I have on these devices neither of them talk RNet. So currently they are not supported.

>>> So you have to use serial? You can't use the network port on the MCA-C3 even if it is set to RNET protocol?

There is no information on the Russound site or documentation portal that says how one can use the network connection on the device. Perhaps I can get that info from their tech support? If the device is capable of talk RNet over IP then the current driver will work once it has the correct IP and port info.

>>> On the MCA-C3 there is a built in Tuner, do you give it the device ID and set it up as an ST2?

The tuner built into the MCA-C3 should not require a different device ID since it is part of the MCA itself.

>>> If you don't have one to mess with, I had to send mine back to Russound but I am getting
>>> it back soon and could make it available for testing.

I only have access to one aging CAV6.6 controller. All the driver development is based on testing with that device.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:33 pm

I get an error message when I load the russound driver

error at showsettings at line #128 - object variable or with block variable not set

Please advise,

BB

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:54 pm

After deleting and reinstalling, still same result. Russound cav6.6 can be added to the family, but none of the zones are acknowledged.

no variables are created

I have confirmed the com port and communication work correctly with pc pwr tools.

THX BB

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Russound event log?

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Nothing logs in the Russound Driver.

BB

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 pm

I was missing the rnet address for my cav. Figured out from looking at the picture.

BB

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Trying to set TOV (turn on volume) and getting no response plus some errors and "Unknown Event" Messages. See log below
Russound TOV.JPG
Russound TOV.JPG (234.4 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Party Mode Toggle

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 am

Struggling with setting party mode. Command Builder lists 4 "Party" commands - on, off, master and toggle. On, off and master commands set the "partymode" variable correctly. But I am getting no response to the "toggle" command. I am trying to create a toggle command that sets the active zone to serve as the master all-zone controller for volume, source, etc.
Russound Party Toggle.JPG
Russound Party Toggle.JPG (287.18 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 pm

It looks like I forgot to test the party command and capture the results. I'll get it corrected.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Whenever av_5_zone_1 source changes value
Then Switching|1~Switch~1~{{av_5_zone_1_source}}

What is the correct Automation Rule to change sources on the avatrix when the cav source changes?
The command builder doesn't seem to work right with the avatrix.

Thanks BB

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm

There's a underscore missing in av_5_zone_1_source but other than that the syntax looks correct.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Ok, the problem seems to be that the source variable isn't changing when the source button is pushed on the cav6.6

It pulls correctly on initial polling, but doesn't update. power and volume seem to work fine.

BB

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok, when I press the Source button on my Uno I am seeing the AV_<X>_Zone_<Y>_Source variable changing. Can I see your Russound event log when you press the Source button in one zone?

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”