AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: V4 Elk Driver

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

There was an issue in the driver that is the serial connection ever timed out it would set a flag saying it was down. However there was no mechanism to clear the flag when comm was restored. The driver has been updated to resolve this.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:05 pm

How do I with the V4 Elk software actuate output 199 on my Elk M1 Gold? Output 199 is a silence mode for turning on/off voice messages.
Activating 199, turns off all All non-alarm voice messages and disables chime for 10 minutes, then it turns it back off.
Deactivating 199, reactivates non-alarm voice messages (however leaves the chime off).

I currently have this setup on all of the Elk Keypads to Function Key 4, but would like a way to not only activate it from mainlobby, but also track the current status of it.

Thank you

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Using the Control|<<ID>>~On or Off command. Where <<ID>> is the Control Family ID for Output 199.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:13 pm

I am still seeing "random" loss of comms to the Elk system (serial) through the driver.
Elk stops responding.PNG
Elk stops responding.PNG (50.57 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Stopping and restarting the driver gives me a com port in use error. I have been dealing with this for some time, but it's just one of those headaches I would like to see go away.
Restarting MLServer resolves the issue, so I believe it's some kind of bad response/timeout issue with the driver and it never tries to recover.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 pm

I guess I'm the only person left with a direct serial connection to the elk? Happened again 5 days ago and didn't realize it again until today. Frustrating.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm

No still lots of customers with serially connected Elks. I believe this is also related to a similar issue I investigated with your Rain 8 earlier this year. Your USB to serial device randomly has ports go to sleep and I have to keep kicking it to get it to respond. I just modified the Elk driver to so a similar set of kicks. (Forced comm port closes and opens). Try the new version and see if it helps.

whmurdock

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:28 am

In my Homeseer setup, I was using the UltraM1G plugin. This plugin allowed me to send commands to the ELK to speak words. I would have to use a script to use this function. The script format was hs.plugin("UltraM1G"), Speakword(X) where X was a number reference for the word for ELK to speak. (All of the words that the ELK panel can speak are listed in the manual). It could also trigger speaking one of the phrases defined in the ELK by using SpeakPhrase(x).

Does the V4 ELK driver have the functionality. IF not how hard would it be to add? I use this function to tell me when someone has entered an area of interest to me.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 am

If you install the Elk driver I just uploaded you'll see the Speakword and SpeakPhrase commands listed in Command builder.

whmurdock

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 am

Thank you Dave for adding the commands. I downloaded the new driver, but could not get the new commands to work. I tried using a zone and the security area. I attached the log from the ELk driver for you to see.

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
ElkSpeakLog.PNG
ElkSpeakLog.PNG (10.32 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 am

It does not matter what Elk device ID you use as the id is only needed to target the Elk driver. The command string 09sw05100B7 is the correct syntax for speaking word #51. Not sure why the Elk panel rejected it. This is all that is mentioned in the Elk protocol document.

4.32.1 Speak Word at Voice/Siren Output (sw) 09swDDD00CC(CR-LF)
4.32.2 Speak Phrase at Voice/Siren Output (sp) 09spDDD00CC(CR-LF)
Example: Speak Word 123 at Voice/Siren Output is 09sw12300B7(CR-LF )
Example: Speak Phrase 123 at Voice/Siren Output is 09sp12300BE(CR-LF )

It talks about Voice/Siren Output. Is that something other than the speaker on the keypad?

whmurdock

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 am

Yes, The voice usually comes from the siren, not the keypad.

whmurdock

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Hello Dave,

I think I figure out the issue with the new speak word and speak phrase command you added in the ELK driver for me. Looking at the Elk documentation:

4.32.1 Speak Word at Voice/Siren Output (sw) 09swDDD00CC(CR-LF) where 09sw = command to speak word, DDD = number of word to speak, 00 is unused, and CC is the check sum.
Example: Speak Word 123 at Voice/Siren Output is 09sw12300B7(CR-LF )

When I sent the command to speak word '51' you used the check sum of 'B7'. 'B7' is the checksum for the command to speak word '123' used in the example. If I use word '123' it works fine, If I use any other value for a word it does not work because the checksum is incorrect. The same goes for the speak phrase command.

I think if you calculate the checksum for the command based on the word value used, this will correct the issue.

Thank you for all of your help.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:29 pm

The Elk driver has one routine that is responsible for calculating the checksum for all commands sent to the Elk panel. All commands start off as a string without the checksum, e.g. 09sw12300 and the checksum routine calculates the checksum based on that string and then appends the checksum to the output resulting in 09sw12300B7. I'm pretty sure the checksum is being calculated correctly otherwise a lot of other commands would not be working. Can you do a couple of other experiments? Do the commands work for 3 digit words and phrases and not 1 or 2?

whmurdock

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Dave,

I did the tests you wanted me to do. While doing the test, I realized that the numbers, 1- 20 and 51, that I used to do my initial testing were either blank or was for some period of silence. So am glad to report that the functions are working correctly. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused you with my faulty testing.

Once again, thank you for your help.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:13 pm

That's not a problem. I'm happy to hear that it is working.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”