cabinetmaker

Re: Dune HD Media Player Driver

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Ok, this has been a challenge, but I'm narrowing down my issue with getting the play command to work. I'm just tired of tracking this down, and would like help with the last couple issues. When I hit the play movie button on DVDLobby scene, the result is this command:

AV|av2~PlayMovie~\\HTMINI\CinemarMovies\FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

ok I have gotten:

AV|2~PlayMovie~HTMINI\CinemarMovies\FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

to work intermittently. I'm tired of going through the commands so how do I fix the AV|av2 to AV|2? The last issue is the path to the movie. I've removed the "\\" from content manager, but I can't figure out why the command is intermittent. I'm wondering if it is similiar to the mapping issue we had with the Web designer paths? Any suggestions Dave? I'm weary of trying to get this to work.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:10 pm

or
AV|2~PlayMovie~\\HTMINI\CinemarMovies\FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

Should both work. Removing the leading \\ should never work. What does the Dune driver look like when you try to issue these commands?

cabinetmaker

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:49 pm

This is the message I get in the event log

ProcessCommand-Failed to translate Movie Server Name to an IPAddress

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Now that is very interesting. What OS is the Dune driver running on?

cabinetmaker

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

The MLServer is running on Vista Home Premium. This is the computer where we've always had name problems. I can't use the HTMINI for my clients, and same goes for Web Designer..

A bit of clarification since I had to restart the server since I posted this. I forgot I had logging off so "ProcessCommand-Failed to translate Movie Server Name to an IPAddress" was only an error when I issued this:

AV|2~PlayMovie~HTMINI\CinemarMovies\FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

When I issue this command,

I get no error, but the translated command is curious. I get this in the log file:
ProcessCommand Cmd=[2~PlayMovie~//HTMINI\CinemarMovies\FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO] Client=[MyClient1]
ProcessCommand URL:http://192.168.0.111/cgi-bin/do?cmd=lau ... Y/VIDEO_TS

I have no idea where it's getting 192.168.123.52 the ip of the server HTMINI is 192.168.0.3. When I try to issue that command with the proper IP address in Chrome it still doesn't work. Like I said I'm at my wits end. I've had a command work 2 times. I thought it was the one I posted before, but since you say that should never work. I feel like I'm at square one again since I don't even know how I got it to work. I think my head is going to melt.
Last edited by cabinetmaker on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cabinetmaker

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Wow, I'm completely lost. I issued the command again in Chrome and it worked, and it seems to be working reliably now.

//192.168.0.111/cgi-bin/do?cmd=launch_media_url&action_on_finish=exit&media_url=smb://192.168.0.3/CinemarMovies/FOR_LOVE_OR_MONEY/VIDEO_TS

so I just need to figure out out where 192.168.123.52 is coming from.

EUROTECH
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Do you happen to have 2 nic cards in this machine? If you open command prompt and type in "arp -a" without quotes, can you see the MAC address of the hardware having that wrong ip? Maybe a switch/port issue?

Eurotech

EUROTECH
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Art Dustman wrote:Found the settings I changed which apply to Windows 7 and Vista only AFAIK.. you mileage may vary, so make a registry backup:

Registry change #1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services ->LanmanServer ->Parameters

Change the entry 'Size' from 1 to 3 (1 = Minimize Memory Used, 2 = Balance, 3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize Throughput for Network)

Registry change #2:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services ->LanmanServer ->Parameters

Create a DWORD entry SMB2. Value will default to 0 which is correct.

This seems to have resolved my issues. I have watched numerous movies and moved files around on the drives and so far no need for server reboot. Dune starts each and every time. Thanks a million! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

cabinetmaker

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 am

Do you happen to have 2 nic cards in this machine? If you open command prompt and type in "arp -a" without quotes, can you see the MAC address of the hardware having that wrong ip? Maybe a switch/port issue?
I suppose I have 2 ni (drop the c). I have both WIFI & Ethernet. Currently my 2 routers are full so this PC uses Wifi until I get a new switch. Doing arp -a does show the MAC address. I've been really busy last couple days with work so I haven't been able to spend any time with it, but I needed a break from it anyway.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Since the Dune can have a hard time doing DNS name resolution on some networks the driver looks at the UNC name \\ServerName\Sharename bits and tries to convert \\ServerName into its IP address equivalent \\192.x.y.z so the Dune doesn't have to try to translate the name. If the target server has multiple nic cards windows may give the driver the wrong IP address. This is probably what you are seeing.

cabinetmaker

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Yet another frustrating example of what a POS Windows is. Explain to me how many modern computers don't have more than 1 network interface. Heck how many don't have more than 2? Where does that leave me? What's the next step? If having more than one network interface is the problem, and a ridiculously stupid problem at that, how do I solve the issue?

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

Install the version of the Dune driver I just released and see if it helps. Let me know.

cabinetmaker

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks Dave. As always, I appreciate your prompt attention to the matter. I'm amazed at how you keep your sanity. I'm at work right now, but will try it as soon as I get home.

This issue seems to crop up a lot. Over the years, I'd say 90% of the problems I've had have come down to the system not being able to resolve the proper IP address of my server. I spent a few hours googling the issue, and it seems to be a fairly common problem. Unfortunately there is no common solution, and of the half dozen I tried, none of them were effective for my situation. Do you have any suggestions? I can only imagine this will crop up again, and ultimately it will save me hours of frustration if I can squash this once and for all. I wondered if a new version of the OS would help as I am running Vista now, but I seem to remember we had this problem with movie cover art back when I was running windows 98, but that doesn't necessarily mean that wouldn't fix the problem. Any suggestions?

cabinetmaker

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok, just had an opportunity to try the newest version of the driver. Here is what I get:

cabinetmaker

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:29 am

I found the incorrect IP address in the Hosts file. While the entry in the hosts file was the IP address that plugin was using, removing the IP address, has not fixed the issue. The search goes on.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”