bpet

Pentair Driver

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 pm

I am assuming that I can download the Pentair Driver and test it until MLServer requires a license? (My Pentair EasyTouch controller is connected to the valves, lights etc., but not yet connected to the pump - still waiting on the pool company for that - not sure if that makes a difference here?) The Pentair Driver does not seem to be connecting properly to my i-link. I'm able to use Pentair's "ScreenLogic Connect" to connect to the system and make changes and so I'm pretty sure that the i-link is functional on my network. In MLServer's event log I'm getting "FAILED TO EXECUTE COMMAND. Family pool is not licensed or invalid family alias"

Here is a screen print from the Pentair Driver Log:
Pentair.jpg
Pentair.jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Family Screen Print:
family.jpg
family.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Pentair Driver

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:41 am

Did you restart MLServer after adding your first pool device? If not then that is why you got the unknown alias bad license message. Also, the Pentair driver expects to see a RS232 serial connection to the i-Link device. You have it defined as a network device. Are they making networkable i-Links these days? If yes then I will need to find the protocol document describing how to talk to it.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:50 pm

It appears the networked device being used here is the IntelliTouch controller, which is used to provide a (rather sophisticated) interface from iPhones/PCs/Macs/etc. You can do quite a bit more using Intellitouch that with the I-Link. However, from what I could see, the IntelliTouch protocol is not published anywhere, and the protocol is quite difficult to reverse engineer (I looked at it a bit).

The I-Link is a different box connected to the main Pentair Controller.

- Roman
Roman

bpet

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Dave, I did reboot the MLServer...Oops...I just assumed it was the I-Link...Looking at it more closely, I have the Easytouch Outdoor Controller and the interface is called the ScreenLogic Interface Wireless Connection Kit - here is the pdf:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Wireles ... nkitIG.pdf

Does that mean that the Pentair Driver would not work?

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm

The current Pentair Driver works fine with the I-link. Be prepared to be disappointed though. The I-link is purposely crippled to make you buy the big screenlogic package. Just what we all want, login to 3 different systems to control a pool pump...

Ditch the I-link and get an Autelis controller. They are less than half the price and do almost everything over ethernet. I've spent almost 6 years hunting down a way to NOT have to open Screenlogic, then back to Cinemar, then back to Screenlog, etc.

There will be a driver coming shortly. Google Autelis and Pentair.

ggoun

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 pm

Has anything ever been done with the Screen Logic interface? I see only one driver, but it's not for Screen Logic.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Autelis appears to be out of business. Not sure about Screen Logic. Will have to re-research.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Autelis is supposed to relaunch in 2020.. but we know how stuff like that goes. Stay away from the basic Pentair automation box that runs on rs232. Very basic because ScreenLogic was mad nobody would convert their entire system to their system. Boo..The ScreenLogic is “proprietary” and that’s what the Autelis emulated at the rs485 level. If someone has enough time, they could figure out the TCP commands and hijack it that way i suppose. There are plenty of bits of info on the rs485 protocols and that’s where the Autelis lived.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Art, if you have any of those RS485 bits for Jandy or Pentair, please forward.

Jandy is a mess too now. No clear path to integration right now.

Time for us to write a pool controller software using a few cheap relays...
Anyone have a set of rules it would need to follow?

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Looking at
Pentair Easy Touch 4 function control 520593
Pentair Screenlogic Interface and wireless connection kit 160301

I would prefer it if they just sold the protocol adapter to IP and integration through Allonis instead of using their apps.

What are your thoughts and what is the probability of this happening?
Also, is there a better option ATM?

BB

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:47 pm

I use the Pentair 520442 RS232 adapter along with the Allonis Pentair driver. The 520442 is rather expensive for what it is. But I find that it provides all the functionality needed for day-to-day pool and spa control. And the Allonis driver does make use of all the features available in the RS232 protocol.

For configuration and setup purposes, I use the Pentair ScreenLogic Interface adapter (Ethernet adapter, basically), and then use the web interface and and iPhone apps from Pentair.

Having to buy two pieces of hardware from Pentair isn't ideal, by any means. Especially from a cost perspective. But it does work.

- Roman
Roman

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanx Roman for the update. Good that there still is a means to integrate with Pentair. But boy, that is an expensive serial adapter...

Not sure what can be done for Jandy. They are having some real problems with integration. They are using a cloud strategy and don't have the foundation to implement. Dumb....
If anyone has a known working method for Jandy, please let us know.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am

I you can get any maybe from ebay until the company comes back online, the Autelis box is much more reasonably priced and the driver is readily available in Allonis. Dave and I worked on that driver a few years ago. It does everything. The serial box from Pentair is a stripped down, expensive piece of junk.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm

There is no doubt the Pentair adapter is overly-expensive. But at least it's available.

As for features... I would suggest checking out the "Command Builder" file for both the Autelis and Pentair Allonis drivers before going in one direction or the other. The Autelis driver has some abilities the Pentair driver does not offer. But the Pentair driver has features not present in the Autelis driver. For example, you con control solar pool and spa heating from the Pentair driver (set the pool heating to "Off"/"Heater"/"Solar Only"/"Solar Preferred"). For me this happens to be a very important feature to control.

Regards,
Roman

P.S. I actually modified the MLServer device driver to move it to myServer (and gave the source back to Dave). And while I was doing that I incorporated all the features of the latest RS232 protocol offered by Pentair at the time.
Roman

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:17 pm

<temp>
<htstatus>
Definition: The current heater status
Possible values: 4-bit value (bit0 = pool heat, bit1 = spa heat, bit2 = pool solar, bit3 = spa solar; 0 = off/standby, 1 = heating)
</htstatus>
<poolht>
Definition: The current pool/hi-temp heater settings
Possible values: 0 = off, 1 = heater, 2 = solar preferred, 3 = solar only
</poolht>
<spaht>
Definition: The current spa/lo-temp heater settings
Possible values: 0 = off, 1 = heater, 2 = solar preferred, 3 = solar only

I believe it does that too

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”