sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond myServer?

No TVLobby listings

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:53 am

I have TVLobby running with the MLBeyondTVplugin and I went to look at the TVLobby listings yesterday and nothing came up. I had to into the BeyondTV plugin and click on "Update the Database". After this I had my listings back again. Obviously, I ran out of data. What I am wondering is there a way to make this update automatic, either with an automation rule, or is it already a feature of the plugin and I am just missing the setting.

Thanks.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 am

version 0.7.3 allows for "Auto-update TVLobby.mdb" choice.

Make sure you are on latest plugins / updates and post what version you are on (as "latest" can be different for different user groups - alpha / beta/ prod).

Also Fonceur advises that you can put 14 days into TVLobby.mdb from his testing when used with MLBeyondTV plugin as the data pump.

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:13 am

Thank you. I will upgrade and then make the changes that you recommend.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am

With the current version, there are 3 ways to deal with that issue. They all involve using MLServer --> View --> Plugins --> MLBeyondTV --> Settings. The first 2 are manual methods, the third one is totally automated.

1) On the MLBeyondTV "Settings" tab, press the Update the TVLobby database now. Next to it, you can select to have up to 14 days of data (7 for a BTV trial mode).

2) On the MLBeyondTV "Guide updates" tab, check the "Auto-update TVLobby.mdb" and press the Update BTV's Guide now. Do that when the BTV server is not in use (i.e. recording, Live TV, etc.), as those Guide updates are aborted if the system is busy, to prevent stuttering during playback/recording.

3) On the MLBeyondTV "Guide updates" tab, check the "Auto-update TVLobby.mdb". Enable the "Override BTV's updates" and select the "Update frequency". (this will disable the automatic Guide updates in BTV)

Number 3 is the preferred method, as you can select some off-peak time to perform those updates (i.e. 3 am) and you will not experience stuttering during playback/recording. It is also the only method not requiring human intervention.

Alternatively, I could have the TVLobby database update on it's own timer, if #3 does not seem appropriate for some reasons...

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:46 am

Thanks. That helps a lot. Also, I was wondering about the "Plugin Update Frequency" setting under the Settings Tab. What is the recommended setting for this?

Thanks again.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:48 am

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks.
Is this the line you are referring to:

Select a Plugin update frequency. This selects when the MLBeyondTV plugin gets updates from the BeyondTV server.

If so, I saw that. What I didn't understand was should we use; "5 min before the hour", "25/55 min after the hour", "Every - (select one) 45 min, 90 min, 3 hr, 6 hr, 12 hr, 24 hr"

I wasn't 100% sure what this is updating. If the earlier setup is getting the data at say 3 am, then I am not sure what this update is doing. Obviously, I want to make sure I get the data updated, but I don't want to bog down the system with too many unnecessary updates.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:14 am

1) There is BeyondTV Server software getting guide data from their Internet source. This is setup in the BeyondTV Server setup.

2) There is the MLBeyondTV data getting updates from the BeyondTV software (that is the selection you are referring).

3) There is the MLBeyondTV plugin sending the guide data to TVLobby.mdb
(what you originally were asking about).

The above should happen in sequence.

The choice is yours on when you want 2) to happen. When you are using the system, you want the latest data. But, getting data all the time has system performance impact. So, ideally you would only get the data right before you want to use it, and no more. Without knowing your TV watch habits or your system peformance charecteristics, there isn't any better recommendation. Try choices to see what works for you and your family and your system.

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks. That helps clear things up. I was wondering if there was a setting that in testing worked better than others, but like you said, since no two systems are alike, it won't help.

But it sends me in the right direction.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:30 am

sonypoolplr wrote:Select a Plugin update frequency.
This part is related to the graphical interface.

When you select the "Upcoming recordings" scene, for improved performance, you are not sending a query to the BTV server to get that list, but instead to the MLBeyondTV plugin, which is keeping a local copy (cache) of that list. Same thing for most of the other scenes, the exception being the various searches which do require to communicate with the BTV Server. If you modify something through the plugin (i.e. you block a recording), this will force an update of the appropriate list(s), but if you were to delete a file within BTV itself or through Windows explorer, the plugin would not become aware of that change until the next plugin update...

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am

Update.

Went into TVLobby last night, no data again. I have the "Auto Update TVLobby.mdb" box checked, I also have the "Override BTV's Update" box check and I have the Update Frequency set for 2am, with the days set at 14 days of data. I tried to manually update the data but I got an error that the data couldn't be found so it canceled. I updated to the latest version on the website and then manually tried again and it worked. But I still don't see all 14 days in the TVLobby scene and I am worried that after the 9 or so days that I can see I will have to go through this process again. It doesn't appear, at least from what I can tell, that the automatic updates are working for me.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:24 am

sonypoolplr wrote:Went into TVLobby last night, no data again.
Ok, in such cases, the first thing to check is if BTV itself has data or if it ran out too. Do you know if you had plenty of data in both applications before that update (i.e. did it wipe a good set of data and was not able to refill the databases).
I have the "Auto Update TVLobby.mdb" box checked, I also have the "Override BTV's Update" box check and I have the Update Frequency set for 2am, with the days set at 14 days of data.
Sounds good, the BTV-Server is not in standby/hibernation/recording or people watching LiveTV at 2 am, right?
I tried to manually update the data but I got an error that the data couldn't be found so it canceled.
I think that this error message is part of a big try/catch section, so could be caused by many things.
But I still don't see all 14 days in the TVLobby scene and I am worried that after the 9 or so days that I can see I will have to go through this process again.
Well, technically TVLobby was created to handle about 7 days of data, so maybe you are experiencing issues related to that. Try to limit the data to 7 days and see if that helps. There is also the change of time coming next weekend, so that might be causing a hickup...

Over the next few days, try to go back and check the log around 2 am when you wake up, if there are still issues, try to cut and paste or retype the error message and a few lines around it.

sonypoolplr

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks. I checked the log and I found this:
10/23/2007 2:00:00 AM Guide_update:Cancelled,incremental guide update disabled

I will keep all this in mind and see what happens as the days go by again.

Thanks for the reply.

sonypoolplr

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:35 am

Another update.

I looked at the MLBeyondTV log this morning and I found these entries.

10/24/2007 2:00:00 AM Guide_Update: Starting a Full Guide Update
10/24/2007 2:13:00 AM Guide:Update Completed
10/24/2007 2:13:02 AM Could not find the database file:Data\TV.mdb

Also, I notice that my TV.mdb file wasn't updated since the last update. The file is located at C:\Program Files|MLServer|Data\TV.mdb

Thanks.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:08 am

sonypoolplr wrote:10/24/2007 2:13:02 AM Could not find the database file:Data\TV.mdb
Ok, I suspect that using a relative path there was not a good idea, so for the next release I will explicitly add the rest of the path.

Return to “MLBeyondTV”