Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:46 am

i have design questions, thanks!
michael

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: looking for OmniProII expert

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Get them together and post them here. Several of us can assist you with whatever you have.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

michael(fl)

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess my biggest question is it seems that there is a lot of overlap with ML and OmniPro. I have a very basic ML setup (weather, stocks, UPB lights, WGL , Proliphix therms, one IP camera, TED5000, football, RSS -using Gallery) - mostly becuase of my lack of time to work on it and using a very old PC for the MLserver. I want to add Russound, DVD, NetFlix, Sirius, pool/spa, weather station. I 'had' a DCS832 security system, but it died last month. I wasn't sure how to add the DCS to ML, but now that it has died i started revewing other systems and was interested by the HAI OmniPro. In revewing the features of the OmniPro it seems that there will be a lot of duplications. Am i understanding that correctly? Are there good/bad issues with OmniPro?

Not sure i covered everything, but this is the basics.

thanks,
michael

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am

get an ELK M1Gold panel. The Cinemar plugin works better than the plugin that integrates with HAI.

michael(fl)

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks, that answers one question. Is this the best integrated with ML? In looking at the ELK site, there doesn't seem to as much over lap. Is that true? If starting from scratch - would you choose ELK with ML frontend?

thanks,
michael

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:46 pm

I think generally this is what you are going to find.

People that have Elk or HAI..., use the Elk or HAI for what we will call automation.

Turn on lights at ...
Turn off lights when alarm armed and turn up thermostat ...

Basically all the rules you see people writing to customize behavior based on actions in the system.

Where people use ML with those systems is for media interface, weather, horoscope, music and most importantly UI.

I have an even more convoluted setup where I use Insteon for lighting and I use the ISY to control light scenes. It also happens to integrate with Elk and IMHO, the rule builder in ISY is better than ELK or HAI in terms of being able to turn on programs and off programs in addition to handling events, but it has absolutely no UI.

So in summary, people use ML for the UI of a completely integrated system and when they have an automation controller like ELK or HAI, they do their automation rules on that device. It is hardware based, battery backed up and always on vs a PC that has more of a chance to have an issue.

My .02.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

I have a HAI Omni Pro II and have for years, even prior to MLS being around. Contrary to the post of DavidL, the HAI plugin works just as well and is more feature rich than that of the ELk. As for how we are all actually integrating the system, most use the naitive lighting control available for whatever panel you choose. The panel controls all the lighting, HVAC and so on. Cinemar is the graphic front end for all of that functionality. Either the HAI or Elk can also be used to trigger events inside of MLS, which can trigger other actions. Actions from within MLS can also trigger actions in the HAI or Elk. The main reason I like HAI over Elk is that the company has been more industry leading, with many new control options offered annually.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 pm

And in this corner, weighing in at 10910 post DaaaavvvvvviiiiidddddddLLLLLL. In the opposing corner weighing in at 2159 posts, the confident and avante garde DaaaaaavvvvvveeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeeeee.

Couldn't resist! :o

michael(fl)

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am still a little confused - i will do more studying this weekend. One question - bigDvette referred to the HW setup not needing a PC, i understand that. But if i want to use a CAV6 w/Sirus, etc - wouldn't i need to control that with ML - meaning that the MLserver is always on? Or am i missing something.

thanks
michael

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 pm

You aren't missing anything. My point was for automation tasks (lighting, security, HVAC ...) the Elk and HAI are hardware based. You do need MLServer running on a PC and the PC running if you are going to control a CAV through MLServer.

And you need ML running if you build your UI using Cinemar.

Hope that clears it up.

Clever1

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm

michael(f),

Your not missing anything and if you are reading between the lines in these posts you will see that it just verifies that there are numerous configurations of numerous systems to create the desired environment your looking for.

I will also add to the last post that you can control the CAV with an HAI panel directly through on of the on board serial ports. To further compound the issue I believe that with a serial extender module that you can control the CAV with the ELK as well...

So you see there will be "overlap" in whatever components you choose to integrate.

michael(fl)

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Clever1,
I see that there is an infinite number of configurations. I am leaning towards the HAI foundation, know that there will a lot of over lap, but hopefully an easy way to increase WAF.

Thanks and happy holidays,
michael(fl)

Clever1

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Well the WAF throws a hole other iron in the fire... The WAF tells me that technically it doesn't matter what is in operating in the background just that it does and that the interface has to be easy to use doesn't always change and isn't too expensive... I am assuming that you are sticking with ML as your primary user interface so whether you have the ELK or the HAI in the background doesn't matter... If you are just looking a panel to inetgrate hardware/hardwire components and less "overlap" than the ELK is probably the better route (don't let the HAI guys know I said that...)

michael(fl)

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I agree, backend shouldnt matter - the main WAF is the amount of time i spend on the project. Hence, my desire to get as much configured by either HAI or ELK - then i can play with the addons via ML.

thanks,
michael(fl)

Clever1

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Sounds good... Keep us posted as you proceed....

Return to “MLHAI”