Mudslide03

Hand Holding needed

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:46 am

I am having no luck with my NetcallerID.

I plugged the device into power, serial and phone. I downloaded and installed the NetcallerID plugin 3.0.3.
When I call the number it shows up on the Netcaller box but nothing happens in MLsrever.
When I look at the events of the plugin there is nothing there. I did not select a comport in the setup screen per smoothtlk.

I installed the software that came with the NetcallerID box to test hardware and comm ports and the number popped right up on my screen. I since uninstalled the NetCallerID software to try to figure out how to get the plugin going. Any idea what I am missing?

mcascio

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 am

Mudslide,

You need to configure the Comport within the NetcallerID plugin for it to work.
Last edited by mcascio on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 am

OK. I set the comport for line 1 and I see the call in the event screen.

Where do I go from here to configure phonebooK?
How does it interact with mainlobby (popup when call comes)?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Mudslid03,

1) MLNetCallerID should be configured for the comport that the netcallerid hardware is plugged into. No other software should be configured for this same com port

2) MLCallerID plugin should be 3.0.156 version

3) MLCallerID should NOT be assigned to a comport (at least NOT CONNECTED). Do not click the Connect on Startup check box. DO select the POWER Connect on Startup box.

4) if the new caller id database is installed (the MLCallerID3 installer should have done that for you) then next step is to create at least one alias in the database. click on the Alias tab and the Add button and put your cell phone number in the database with your name. You can also browse to a picture of yourself if you want.

5) you are now done configuring the MLServer components. We won't cover Importing aliases because you are a new MLCallerID user.

6) open MainLobby client and navigate to the 0019_callerID.mls
Make a call from your cell phone to your house phone that the netcallerID box is plugged into. You should now see it in MainLobby.

Hoperfully I didn't miss any steps here.

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:29 pm

ML callerID is 1.0.8. When I right click and select download new version it tells me it will restart mlserver but still comes back as 1.0.8

*** edit - I manually downloaded ML caller ID and I now have 3.0.150

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Every time I click OK from the ML callerID screen MLserver.exe chokes my processor at 100%

**** edit: as long as I change the focus from the main screen to a different tab I can close the plugin.

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Is it necessary to have the caller ID screen open or can it pop up when the phone rings?
Or can I incorporate it into a corner of my main mls screen?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Gees, you are just getting caught in the run around. Sorry.
We haven't updated MLServer to point to the new file directories with the latest files for automatic updating. The current MLServer is pointing to older files. The one you manually downloaded should be up to date.

My guess is because you followed Marios advise ;), you now have both MLNetCallerID and MLCallerID both trying to talk to the same Com port, which is seizing up MLServer.

Un register and move MLNetCallerID plugin out of the plugins directory and try again. Then, when you can edit MLCallerID, deselect the Connect on Startup. Then, move MLNetCallerID plugin back into the plugins directory, register it with Windows, and restart MLServer.

MLCallerID3 doesnt' pop up a message box anymore. It displays it on a mls scene. Now, once you get base functionality, you can customize it to do those kinds of things. But let's get to first base first.

I promise, we will tighten this stuff up soon.

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:16 pm

OK. I have my mls scene open for caller ID. I call using my business line and everything pops up including the picture. I just need to customize the scene to my likings.

I usually keep weatherlobby up when we are not using the theater system and would rather not keep up the caller ID scene. What's the steps to integrate the two?

Thanks for all the assistance smooth.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Ok, this is where it can get very custom...
On the MLCaller ID MLServeCmd tab, you can configure what happens when a call comes in.

You can trap the current scene name is in a variable.
You can set a MLTimer to 30 seconds
You can do a ChangeScene to the CallerID.mls to display the incoming call
When MLTimer is done with 30 seconds, return the client scene back to the original one.

That's it in words, the implementation can take a while to configure all of that. And, that's only one choice. Here are some other ideas:
With the new Move commands in that later MLClietns, you can slide in a callerid menu w/ the pic and info.

You can use MLSpeak to Tell you who is calling. Believe it or not, this one get WAF in my household as my wife wants to know who is calling, and isnt' always near a touchscreen to view it. Shee needs to know if it's worth putting the baby down to take an unknown (sales) call, or if it's her mother :) Use a variable and a button push to turn this on / off.

Play a WAV file via MLMusicPlayer that "Incoming call....." or "It's your mother calling" or, "get off the phone, your husband is calling".... or whatever. Whatever suits your need.

Glad you got things going!

Mudslide03

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Do you have a sample command to do what you said in optoin 1?

You can trap the current scene name is in a variable.
You can set a MLTimer to 30 seconds
You can do a ChangeScene to the CallerID.mls to display the incoming call
When MLTimer is done with 30 seconds, return the client scene back to the original one.

Mark P

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:40 am

smoothtlk wrote:Gees, you are just getting caught in the run around. Sorry.
We haven't updated MLServer to point to the new file directories with the latest files for automatic updating. The current MLServer is pointing to older files. The one you manually downloaded should be up to date.

My guess is because you followed Marios advise ;), you now have both MLNetCallerID and MLCallerID both trying to talk to the same Com port, which is seizing up MLServer.

Un register and move MLNetCallerID plugin out of the plugins directory and try again. Then, when you can edit MLCallerID, deselect the Connect on Startup. Then, move MLNetCallerID plugin back into the plugins directory, register it with Windows, and restart MLServer.

MLCallerID3 doesnt' pop up a message box anymore. It displays it on a mls scene. Now, once you get base functionality, you can customize it to do those kinds of things. But let's get to first base first.

I promise, we will tighten this stuff up soon.
Im on hour 2 of trying to deal with this following these instructions over and over only to have MLserver lock the second I press SAVE when I uncheck load on startup, when you say Un register NetcallerID are you saying use regedit and dig through the 5 million files and look for something called Netcaller ID? I uninstall programs but am not up on un-registerying. also under plugins I am guessing you mean grab the NetcallerID .DLL file and drag in out of plugin folder and dump it somewhere on the desktop or something? I have specifically followed these directions for hours now and wondering if theres an addendum since yesterday? I have only actually tried this 6 times in 2 hours but mainlobby takes 15-20 minutes to load so I set my alarm for 3am knowing I was probably not going to get it figured out.

Again Un-register and move MLNetcaller? I thought I even tried uninstalling a couple times already, wheres the documentation for all this step by step on how all this is supposed to get done? Shouldnt it come with the hardware?

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 am

MarkP,
From about page 30 of the MLServer User's Guide:
Occasionally you might find a need to manually register a MainLobby plug-in. If so, do the following:

To register the Plug-In .dll with Windows:

1. Click on your Start menu in the lower corner of Windows and select the Run option.
2. On the Run line type the following:
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\MLServer\plugins\MLHoroscope.dll"

3. Select OK.

To un-register a Plug-In with Windows:

1. Click on your Start menu in the lower corner of Windows and select the Run option.
2. On the Run line type the following:
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\MLServer\plugins\MLHoroscope.dll" /u

Substitute plug-in name here.

Certain .dll and .ocx and some .exe files are "registered" with Windows. That is, the operating system is told where to find this file when needed. So, if you just delete it or move it without "retelling" windows, then things get messy. You should always Unregister a plugin and then move or update or delete it and then Reregister it. MLServer3 Unregisters the file when you deslect it in the MLServer Plugin window. But, in this case, the user was not able to launch MLServer to use that easy capability. so, the Manual register / unregister comes in handy so you can do this without MLServer doing it for you automatically. MLServer also registers all selected plugins on launch. That is the reason why you need to move the plugin out of the Plugins directory after manually unregistering it - so MLServer doesn't find it and Reregister it for you and then you still have two plugins trying to use the same comport and locking up the operating system / MLServer.

Mark P

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 am

I take it I dont save in MLCaller? when I hit OK it asks if I want to save and thats when it locks up MLServer.

Over 6 hours now of messing around and still nothing but I see this forum is filled with other unresolved issues spread about. Does anyone have a set of instructions start to finish on this, no matter what MLCallerId crashes attempting to do any adjustments

creimer

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:08 pm

Mark P, I had the same issue as you with the plugin locking up and I had to restart the mlserver process. After I added my first alias into the plugin, all is fine and the plugin is working as expected. Give it a try if you haven't already done so and let us know how it goes.

Return to “Phone Support”